Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

Active Skty Weather Simulation?

Guest panda234

Just saw the post on the front page, and I'm sorry, maybe I'm getting old, but I couldn't get through it. It was like way too long, and I didn't understand half of the stuff they were talking about. When you get into "optional environment graphics" and start talking about utilizing "an intelligent environment selection system" then you have just left me on second base. This is a sim, it's supposed to be fun.billg

Guest johns

I cannot understand you it is simple just go to a University for 3yrs and get a degree.

Guest panda234

I thought it was 4, but maybe you can't count that high. It's the one that comes after 3.....

I agree it was a bit hard to digest for a press release.Still not sure about this Active Sky. I'm not a huge fan of real-world weather as the weather always tend to be real crappy where I want to fly - in the real world I'd just wait a few days, but why wait for days to fly when it's just a sim?I'd prefer a program to generate realistic offline weather of selectable severity (like it was done in Flight Unlimited III). Weather Maker looked promising but turned out way too involved and awkward to use IMO. Took forever just to generate some simple VFR weather and you had no idea how it would look until you loaded it into the sim.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

>Just saw the post on the front page, and I'm sorry, maybe I'm>getting old, Perhaps then I must be already too old because I had no trouble reading and understanding it yet I got no degree in meteorology *:-*Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

>I'd prefer a program to generate realistic offline weather of>selectable severityThis will be a new feature in the Active Sky 5.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest panda234

when you say that you got no degree it means that you don't got a degree. Most degree programs make you speak english before they let you out, and, quite obviously, you didn't get that far. billg

It seems to me the real problem with that front-page article is the first sentence. To quote: "HiFi Simulation Software has announced the release of ASV - ActiveSky Weather Simulator Version 5."The problem is - it hasn't been released (not even a date set yet). Sort of makes the rest of the article a moot point.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Agamemnon

HiHave you ever considered taking up checkers?That could be fun for you.;)Troy

I have AS2004.5. I cheat ;).I download current weather throughout the year and save it in appropriately names folders. I also throw in a weather situation image named with the same time stamp derived from various web sites. In addition, AS allows you to download archived weather from their servers. If you go to a weather site and look at their weather history trends you can determine the archive to download.The result is I now have a collection of real weather on my pc that I can load into it to create interesting flight environments.

Guest panda234

ummm, yeah, let's keep this from being a flaming post. So, what do you think? I don't know. I have a lot of respect for Chris and for AS, both, so this could be good? I'll bet that they're going to redescibe the area as we know it...billg

Concentrate on what you get and forget the how. Once you set it up forget it. Just download current or archived weather, activate it, and fly.Hope you are instrument rated.

>it means that you don't>got a degree. talking about speaking good English ... :-lolMichael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Well, I "got" three degrees and can guarantee you that fluency in the english language isn't a graduation requirement at most of the world's colleges and universities. And, it's not at all uncommon for undergraduates to complete a degree program in three years - even by those who can't speak a word of english :-) .Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest panda234

hey Ronzie. That sounds interesting. I have as too. So where do you donwload it to and from where? I would love to be able to bring up weather patterns. Thx Bro!rgds,billg