Sign in to follow this  
daniel_schm

Clouds kill FPS in 2.3

On the basis that I have no idea what SGSSAA is I assume that I don't have it turned on. I have default Nvidia settings and MSAA at 4 samples and FXAA turned off. My A2A dials are clear as a bell and my FPS are up in the 50's across three screens, in Orbx regions and with other setting pretty much maxed out. So not sure why you say what you do but it doesn't seem true in every case. Even if it is and it is my ignorance and I do have SGSSAA then it must be a default setying. But whatever I do not think that what amounts to crass statements about A2As technical ability and diligence is appropriate - they appear to me to be one the most professional third party providers with hours and hours of time spent trying to build a very true to life simulation - I believe they even bought a Cherokee (not verified) so that they could study in in great depth. I never fathom why people have to be so rude and impatient on these forums.

SGSAA= Sparse Grid Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing

Can you make a screenshot of your settings? Cause my gauges in some planes are not readable

I have the same problem, even with sparsely clouded condition. Just turn out the window and boom - 14-15 fps. Im OCed to 4,4 ghz on a i7 4770K with a gtx 760 GPU. I mean, what the?? Was hoping for improved performance in 2.3...

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

SGSAA= Sparse Grid Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing

Can you make a screenshot of your settings? Cause my gauges in some planes are not readable

Here's a couple of screen shots.

http://1drv.ms/1AlBF9a

Looks great. What's your ingame AA settings? Did you also use Nvidia Inspector?

See display setting screen shot in here

http://1drv.ms/1AlBF9a

Nvidia set to default. No affintiy mask in cfg - don't need it now. Vsync causes stuttering for me BTW so you will see not activated. 

To get rid of the vsynch issue ensure you run windows desktop theme as Aero....work for me!

I've the same problem.... entering clouds and boom! Drops in fps as if i had a 1990 pc!

No Nvidia Inspector profile (deleted from inspector) Rex 4 clouds, refreshed the p3d shaders, no FXAA, MSAA 4 samples Anisotropic 8x.

I've made try and even if i try with MSAA "none" and anisotropic to trilinear the result is the same. There's something wrong with the clouds no matter shadows are turned on or of.
The only thing that resolves the issue is haveing no 3d clouds. I'll try reinstalling my video card drivers!

Having the very same issue. Has anyone had luck with Rex support looking at this issue.

Put me in the same boat. Ive scaled everything back to 512 resolution as far as clouds go, still no help.

Hi,

first 2.3 is very impressiv. Only thing is that clouds kill my FPS from around 60 to 8-12.

Cloud textures comes from REX 4 - tested sizes 512-1024 with HDR on and off... same results

Tested WX engines AS2012 and IvAp engine... same results

Prepar3D.cfg is not tweaked, Just the entries from the Learning Center are added.

A bit confuse to this situation cause all this things works perfect in v 2.2.

There must be something wrong in my settings. 

Graphic Card is GTX 770 with 337.88 driver. 

Help is welcome  :wink:

This post will be of interest to me as I also encountered the clouds issues. Same thing: FPS jumps from 10-50 with simple clouds. Yesterday, sitting in my Cherokee 180 at CYAM Sault Ste Marie, it was raining heavily and my FPS were 10 or below. Terrible.

I also use REX4  - latest version and have my low/mid/high level clouds at 512.

Specs: 3 monitors 24", 3770k OC at 4.3 GHz, GTX680 2 GB, 16 GB RAM, dedicated P3D SSD, trackIR5.

I was thinking that one huge 27" monitor might be better, no sure though.

I feel for you guys. Same problem here but I think this is a P3D V2.3 issue nothing to do with REX4.

I am using the HDE freeware cloud set and get the same massive FPS drop with detailed clouds in V2.3. I've tried every size cloud file from low to high but they make very little difference.

It doesn't matter what weather program I use (ASN, Opus or FSRealWXLite) - install anything more than cirrus clouds and the FPS plummets to unusable. It's like FSX when it first came out!

It is much better with tessellation OFF but then I get the infamous R6025 CTD so HAVE to use tessellation ticked on.

The other thing I have noticed is that if I try the exact same flight, location, weather in FSX - P3D produces ALOT more cloud cover than FSX does using the same external weather program with the same METAR. Weird.

Hope we can all find a fix soon!

Cheers

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

On the basis that I have no idea what SGSSAA is I assume that I don't have it turned on. I have default Nvidia settings and MSAA at 4 samples and FXAA turned off

Hello Captain! it's interesting that you also have thre screens and have good performane. Do you use Nvidia Inspector, or just use the graphic settings in P3D?

Thanks

Clouds really do have strangely big impact on performance and it seems that flying into them eats FPS even more. I disabled HDR and volumetric fog after some testing last night and with them FPS seems to keep mostly on 30ish range even with those heavier weather presets on REX4+ORBX Global+Vector and South Alaska that I tested. HDR really makes a big impact on a cloudy weather, but I don't really miss it because I find it quite overdone effect. Volumetric fog doesn't seem that big deal either, at least flying rather low and slow.

I don't also think that performance hit has anything to do with REX4 textures. They are just textures and that's it and problem is somewhere in the engine requiring optimisation. By the way, has anyone tested between compressed (DXT) and uncompressed textures if there is any difference?

Hello Captain! it's interesting that you also have thre screens and have good performane. Do you use Nvidia Inspector, or just use the graphic settings in P3D?

Thanks

Hi Mario, just the P3D settings - cleared Inspector back to default. I do though get a big FPS hit when cloud cover is heavy - but I tend to fly in low to medium cloud cover as I like the effect of the sun and the clouds and shadows. I also tend to fly in non densely populated areas and only GA.

I did find a post recently on the LM which was aimed at v2.2 where an LM developer suggested that locking the frame rate to 10% upbove the average that can be achieved in any given scenario or 33 tops (so 30 +10%) with V Sync and 3x buffering on gives a really smooth flight. So I have tried this and when the FPS is low it still gives an amazingly fluid flight model. For example, I was over London the other day in quite heavy cloud cover and high scenry settings and only getting around 15 FPS on unlimited with stutters . I set the max frame rate to 17 and hey presto a wondeful smooth flight - no stuttering at all and the A2A Cherokee still felt alive. 

I now use this setting all the time but normally at 33 FPS (even if I can average 50 - 80 FPS with unlimited frame rates) and it actually makes the flight smoother still.

The LM developer wasn't sure why this worked but it was a phenomenon he had stumbled across. I do still experiment and always I go back to the 33 locked FPS with V Sync and 3x buffering as it just smooths things out even further (for me at least).

cheers

Peter