Sign in to follow this  
daniel_schm

Clouds kill FPS in 2.3

Hi,

first 2.3 is very impressiv. Only thing is that clouds kill my FPS from around 60 to 8-12.

Cloud textures comes from REX 4 - tested sizes 512-1024 with HDR on and off... same results

Tested WX engines AS2012 and IvAp engine... same results

Prepar3D.cfg is not tweaked, Just the entries from the Learning Center are added.

A bit confuse to this situation cause all this things works perfect in v 2.2.

There must be something wrong in my settings. 

Graphic Card is GTX 770 with 337.88 driver. 

Help is welcome  :wink:

I would remove all entries from your cfg and leave it default. I'm using a 4 year old CPU with an ancient 560ti video card and can hold 25-30 fps in the clouds with the AXE from aerosoft.

This is with cloud shadows and dense autogen etc. using fsglobal. I have not touched the cfg. Since a clean install yesterday.

Sean Green

Cloud shadows still take a toll on FPS - are your cloud shadows on?  With cloud and terrain shadows off and all other sliders all the way to the right I can hold 30fps in heavy clouds and overcast using OpusFSX for weather and stock P3Dv2.3 clouds.  I have REX 4 but haven't reinstalled it since the P3Dv2 upgrade to v2.3

All shadows are off. I'll make a test with a clean cfg after landing and report back. There must be something wrong with my current cfg wich causes these troubles...

I hope so :)

Ok, a fresh Prepar3D.cfg changes nothing. 

Graphics change to AS2012 or default also changes nothing. Frames about 10.

But if I change Cloud detail from "Detailed clouds" to "Simple clouds" the FPS raise up to 80.... really strange

What's your cloud coverage setting?  I get my best performance at "medium," can sometimes manage "high," and bring my system to its knees if I select "maximum." Obviously the medium setting isn't great for overcast (though FS Global Real Weather did a good job with this in 2.2, because it doesn't use cumulus to render stratus).  But overall I find that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make. 

Agree that shadows are better in 2.3 but they can still be a challenge.  

Cloud coverage from Low to Maximum takes now affect to FPS - 8-10 FPS.

Switching to Simple cloud raise up to 80 FPS.

I still have no answer why?! Think today I didn't find a solution. 

Theoretically yes but you need SGSSAA in certain cockpits to be able to read the gauges. The worst offender is A2A, their Panels and side-mounted GPS are an eyesore without SGSSAA. Flickering and unreadable you pretty much have to rely on SGSSAA to make em useful - with the respective butchering of the fps. Too bad A2A just can't be arsed to make proper gauges. Other devs and addons don't suffer from that, only the oh-so-advanced A2A tech. It's quite frustrating really being forced to fly in clear blue skies in the otherwise best addons because cloudy weather is impossible thanks to the needed SGSSAA

I think it is REX4, because I have the same problem with FSX. It doesn't matter what aircraft I use. 

Philipp Schwaegerl

Theoretically yes but you need SGSSAA in certain cockpits to be able to read the gauges. The worst offender is A2A, their Panels and side-mounted GPS are an eyesore without SGSSAA. Flickering and unreadable you pretty much have to rely on SGSSAA to make em useful - with the respective butchering of the fps. Too bad A2A just can't be arsed to make proper gauges. Other devs and addons don't suffer from that, only the oh-so-advanced A2A tech. It's quite frustrating really being forced to fly in clear blue skies in the otherwise best addons because cloudy weather is impossible thanks to the needed SGSSAA

On the basis that I have no idea what SGSSAA is I assume that I don't have it turned on. I have default Nvidia settings and MSAA at 4 samples and FXAA turned off. My A2A dials are clear as a bell and my FPS are up in the 50's across three screens, in Orbx regions and with other setting pretty much maxed out. So not sure why you say what you do but it doesn't seem true in every case. Even if it is and it is my ignorance and I do have SGSSAA then it must be a default setying. But whatever I do not think that what amounts to crass statements about A2As technical ability and diligence is appropriate - they appear to me to be one the most professional third party providers with hours and hours of time spent trying to build a very true to life simulation - I believe they even bought a Cherokee (not verified) so that they could study in in great depth. I never fathom why people have to be so rude and impatient on these forums.

I continue to have really bad performance with detailed clouds when I am going through them its very stuttery. I am desperate. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight