Sign in to follow this  
Jetman67

Instrument panels too dark and not clear

When I first started flying P3D I thought the panels were way too dark and fuzzy.  I turned off HDR and that helped.  I zoomed in and the instruments got a lot better.  I'm pretty happy with what I have now.

I've compared screen shots from FSX (haven't fired it up in a while) with those from P3D and it's obvious the cockpits in FSX are a lot brighter.  This is likely because the P3D ones are in shadow while the FSX ones are not.  I did, however, try installing a new graphics theme from AS2012 into P3D and it made everything a lot brighter... way too bright, as a matter of fact;  some of the outside views were garish and washed out.  Seems the "day" texture in use had much brighter ambient light than the default.  I don't know which one it is, but some experimentation should find something that works.

Note that I don't use any color enhancing programs.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

When I first started flying P3D I thought the panels were way too dark and fuzzy.  I turned off HDR and that helped.  I zoomed in and the instruments got a lot better.  I'm pretty happy with what I have now.

I've compared screen shots from FSX (haven't fired it up in a while) with those from P3D and it's obvious the cockpits in FSX are a lot brighter.  This is likely because the P3D ones are in shadow while the FSX ones are not.  I did, however, try installing a new graphics theme from AS2012 into P3D and it made everything a lot brighter... way too bright, as a matter of fact;  some of the outside views were garish and washed out.  Seems the "day" texture in use had much brighter ambient light than the default.  I don't know which one it is, but some experimentation should find something that works.

Note that I don't use any color enhancing programs.

Hook

Thanks Hook. I am dragging my feet upgrading from v2.2 to 2.3 mainly because I'm so busy doing other stuff and I kinda want to hear what folks are doing and what they think about it. I am only about 10 days into P3Dv2.2

So far, I am still in the 'disappointed' stage but only with the dark side of the visuals. Do like th shadows and stability.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

So far, I am still in the 'disappointed' stage

After my first couple of flights I was so far into the disappointed stage that I didn't touch P3D for a month.  It was beyond bad.  Then I got curious about a couple of things and flew anyway to see how they worked.  Funny thing, the more  I flew the better things got.  I could read the instruments.  The frame rate improved.  The stutters went away completely.  And it wasn't anything I did, because for a long time I didn't do anything! 

I finally tried autogen shadows for a while then turned them off and cranked autogen up to max, which made the sim look phenomenal.  I was getting a pretty constant 30 frames per second and sometimes stuttering for a few seconds once per flight.  I turned cloud shadows on and fps dropped to around 20 and I got stutters for a while.  This is in version 2.2 and I'm waiting for the 2.3 cloud shadow fix to upgrade, maybe the fps will be better.  Looks like ASN will work, which is about all I need, so 2.3 is right around the corner for me.

I was expecting to play with P3D once in a while and mainly stick with FSX, but since I started flying it I haven't fired up FSX for a single flight.  It's strange.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

After my first couple of flights I was so far into the disappointed stage that I didn't touch P3D for a month.  It was beyond bad.  Then I got curious about a couple of things and flew anyway to see how they worked.  Funny thing, the more  I flew the better things got.  I could read the instruments.  The frame rate improved.  The stutters went away completely.  And it wasn't anything I did, because for a long time I didn't do anything! 

I finally tried autogen shadows for a while then turned them off and cranked autogen up to max, which made the sim look phenomenal.  I was getting a pretty constant 30 frames per second and sometimes stuttering for a few seconds once per flight.  I turned cloud shadows on and fps dropped to around 20 and I got stutters for a while.  This is in version 2.2 and I'm waiting for the 2.3 cloud shadow fix to upgrade, maybe the fps will be better.  Looks like ASN will work, which is about all I need, so 2.3 is right around the corner for me.

I was expecting to play with P3D once in a while and mainly stick with FSX, but since I started flying it I haven't fired up FSX for a single flight.  It's strange.

Hook

Thanks for the scoop, Hook. I may be following in your footsteps soon. I am just so busy I keep jumping from one priority to another and back. duh.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .