Sign in to follow this  
Holger

trees, lots of trees - forgotten problem

Well, when I read this post, it reminded me of a CG tool for other game engines. I hope that someday Microsoft will take note of such tools. The link below is for SpeedTree's very cool scenery tool. I am not saying that we need this much detail for our trees in Flight Sim, but I like to dream of what the future of FS may hold...About SpeedTree:The SpeedTree product line enables both real-time developers and off-line animators to incorporate realistic, three dimensional trees into their scenes. SpeedTree takes you from the modeling process all the way to the final rendering. Our unique tree modeling approach allows modelers to create beautiful trees that use a fraction of the polygons used by typical three dimensional tree solutions; therefore, SpeedTree is a perfect match for almost any application where trees are required. Whatever your tree requirements may be, SpeedTree has the solution.See this link for screenshots: http://www.idvinc.com/html/image_browser/UE3_images.htmCheers!David

Hi Joe,"Holger, do you think the term 'hard coded' applies here? As you can see from the list, no forest textures appear, but with the annotator, couldnt you just create your own 'forests' to replace the defaults? IMO i think it can be done, but not as easy as the generic textures. I have been able to adjust the autogen on every texture i have tried... "To the best of my knowledge the term "hard coded" applies to all land class types that have natural vegetation only (i.e., no houses or farmland). These are (almost) all of the types that don't have agn files in the default SceneryWorldscenery folder. For example, you can exchange the deciduous trees in the residential landclass types with conifers but you cannot add custom agn files to the forest land class 26, which automatically replaces wet residential classes on steeper slopes. Thus, all steeper areas around your settlements will always have deciduous trees.There are limited options to trick other classes into showing forest but often at the cost of seasonal variation etc. See this thread for more information and a very useful land class table made by Arnaud: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchThen again, I'm the last person to claim that we have found all possible tweaks for FS ;-)Cheers, Holger

Guest JohnC

If FS10 were to have the ability to conditionally run a specific BGL for each if the 5 seasons then we could produce large forests and and long extended treelines in GMAX using the default seasonal tree textures. For example, a winter BGL would use the winter textures, but would only run in the winter as defined by one's own date limits. Unfortunately, right now GMAX cannot take that many sibling textures...(I think). This would be a trivial upgrade for Microsoft from a programming point of view....(I'm quite sure about this... :-jumpy

Guest BruceFreeburger

Michael, Have you replaced your default trees with conifers.zip by Ed Truthan? It's a FS2002 package, but its the best tree replacement I have tried. Forests are more dense. Cheers, Bruce

>Michael,> Have you replaced your default trees with >conifers.zip by Ed Truthan?Bruce, I did but I could not see much difference in density. Maybe he multiplied number of trees by 4 but his trees seem a lot thinner so in the end my 'brain' can't tell the difference. I also read somewhere there is a hard limit in FS9 how many trees you may have per square km. Thanks for reviving this old topic.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Guest dpc

BINGO!Dave---------------------------------------------------System Specs:Athlon64 3500+ ClawHammerECS NForce4 A-939 Mobo (1ghz FSB)2 Gigs OCZ Performance PC3200 Ram (Dual Channel)ATI Radeon X800Pro PCI-E 256MB (Catalyst 5.6 @ 550/540)SoundBlaster Live 24bitSaitek Cyborg EvoWinXP SP1