Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Clouds/HDR affecting FPS

For some reason the type of clouds, along with HDR really can kill performance

I use Opus and with HDR on (and the new quick tweak for it), certain angles are horrible.  

Example, off the side here I've got 30 fps locked, cloud shadows and all.  But behind me with more clouds, and the fps almost cut in half.  I turned off HDR and only lost about 15%.  With HDR on the loss is about 45%

Anyone else see this?

clouds30.jpg

clouds18.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Get rid of Opus, and do you have the same problem? If not... then the problem is Opus... not anything in Prepar3D.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I could try but I'm guessing opus is a factor, but because there is no default engine that will produce the same cloud effects....  For some reason the HDR has a serious time with all the clouds...

Bah I think p3d is just too much for my system.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I am in the same boat and desperate. I get moderate performance but as soon as I am flying near clouds the S***T Hits the fan. It starts stuttering performance becomes wacky. I thought it was just OPUS but I then selected fogged in and it was a slide show even on the ground. Really dissapointing but I am working on my PPL. I dont think I will be investing money on a new GPU to update my 550TI GTX. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

I have default clouds max coverage at 100mi and HDR on and I am doing well. When I tried OPUS it was a huge hit even with FSX

Bob

Bob. What are your specs? For me its the opposite. FSX runs like a dream with highmemfix and affinitymask 84. on my i7 2600K 3.40GHZ 8GB Ram and NVidia 550TI. I know my GPU is low but the performance I am getting is unexplainable. I have tested and changed settings around and the only thing that works for me is cloud on Simple. That will give me a smooth experience. 

If I do not do that then I get great FPS but when I am IMC it really is just utter crap. Does not make sense that I have so many add ons running in FSX at a steady 15-35 FPS depending on cities with no stutters and then default P3D i am getting that headache.

I am so dissapointed I thought I was going to be able to swtich platforms but I do not see what the problem is 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Bob. What are your specs? For me its the opposite. FSX runs like a dream with highmemfix and affinitymask 84. on my i7 2600K 3.40GHZ 8GB Ram and NVidia 550TI. I know my GPU is low but the performance I am getting is unexplainable. I have tested and changed settings around and the only thing that works for me is cloud on Simple. That will give me a smooth experience. 

If I do not do that then I get great FPS but when I am IMC it really is just utter crap. Does not make sense that I have so many add ons running in FSX at a steady 15-35 FPS depending on cities with no stutters and then default P3D i am getting that headache.

I am so dissapointed I thought I was going to be able to swtich platforms but I do not see what the problem is 

HI,

I have an i7 2600k OC=4.5 -- GTX760 8gig -- 8gig main memory.  Mediocre now but top of the line when I bought it LOL. 

Since I am getting some very nice performance and LM is getting this monster engine tuned, I may look into upgrading soon.

Bob 

Bob

P3D makes much more use of the video card than FSX

so that 550 is sure to be your limiting factor here.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Yeah that too me just says what I did not want to hear. I need a new GPU

I had a gtx570 before and the 760 with 8gig did not make a huge difference with FSX, but it did with P3D. Not sure why though.

Maybe the p3d code is more efficient.

Bob

With my 780 Ti I can keep to 30fps with thick clouds(with the cap at 40) but I can tell they do hog performance. I'm waiting to try ASN once they get SP1 out (with 2.3 support, among many other things.) Video card really does make all the difference in P3D v2. 

If I don't use opus how can I get real weather?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I just tested some more, and wow, thick cloud coverage really does hammer FPS in 2.3. Even with the default settings, I get down to around 22fps moving through a cloud layer... that's just awful.

Yeah moreso in P3D than FSX....  I guess all the shadows and light calculations for HDR really kill ya.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |