Sign in to follow this  
Guest P3_Super_Bee

If airlines are in such financial trouble...

If all these airlines are in such financial trouble, and laying off crews etc, how are they affording these new paint jobs?? Northwest new paintUnited new paintZip has changed there gawd awful 1980 Braniff wannabe colors to more of a white base...I just don't get it, one minute these airlines are practically broke begging for help, and the next minute the whole fleet is a new color!! These paint jobs can't be cheap!!

All aircraft have to be periodically repainted as a part of normal maintenance. It's amazing how much more fuel gets burned with worn/oxidized paint. So, why not change the colors occasionally also? I doubt that any airline is doing unnecessary repaints in today's cost-cutting environment.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest BrunoF

Hi Doug,> So, why not change the colors occasionally also

Exactly for the same reason as companies who are going through reorganizations feel they need to change names, launch expensive media campaigns, do promotions, print flyers, etc. It is all done in belief that new marketing strategy will get them "noticed" and bring in new customers and new recognition.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest B1900 Mech
http://www.aviationplanning.com/ Read The article "United's Ted: Lots Of Hidden CostsGoing Where Everybody's Gone Before - Unsuccessfully" Couldn't have said it better myself.

Guest P3_Super_Bee

> So, why not change the colors occasionally also 80's gray on the bottom and white on top. Then they went to a tactical gray and all one color. Well 1 we just saved money because now we only have one color to buy instead of one. HUH? I'm still painting the same amount of paint. No not really when the planes were gray and white the plane was first painted all white then the gray was applies on top. So buy using one color we have cut the amount of paint need for an aircraft, and we have also cut exess weight, and with that now well get better gas mileage. This is way when it was figured out that the tactical style paint was junk (its porus and collects dirt like a vaccumm. and isn't very maintenance friendly) and went back to the gloss paint the planes were painted in all gloss gray paint. Still using the same amount of paint but paint is now easier to maintain and is a lot easier to keep clean so there is more cost savings at the gas pump. To note on the new United paint they still have multiple colors but the base coat is now white which is the cheapest color.NW is using less colors, as well as a pretty basic scheme which cuts cost on the price of the paint job.Also to note as stated in other posts on this topic, Most if not all logos/wording is a decal which is cheaper than paint.And as stated above a paint change also gives the new corporate id that the airline is looking for.To add to Jim's post about TED, I think it will be a flop, to me its nothing more than the failed United Shuttle, but made to look like a seperate airline...

:-outta

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown
"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child