Sign in to follow this  
ap1

FSX Won't Install

I had to uninstall FSX, but when I went to install, I put the disk in and started installing.  But before it could get anywhere, it said removing applications or something like that and it stayed like that and I took the disk out and then it said error 1603.  It's making me frustrated somewhat, and don't know what is happening and don't know what to do. Thanks in advance.

Why did you stop it...

If you are having issues it may not be FSX at all... you may have other issues...

The reason I stopped it is because it said removing applications for a long time so I thought it might not be working.  But maybe it was.  The thing is though, I don't remember it doing this before.  I'll try again I guess and see if it gets passed that.  

Review your event log files... may be a clue there as to what was happening ..

OK, I'll take a look.  

Funny, I just did a completely fresh install of FSX yesterday for testing purposes and I too noticed the "removing applications" message for a long-long time.  So I canceled thinking it had locked up.  Started again and this time I said I would let it run to see how long this message stood there.  I think at about 10-15 minutes I was about to stop it again and then "boom" it continued with the install.

I think being a program that eight years old install technology just is a bit slower.  My P3D install was lightning fast and is 10GB!

So I think if you just let it do it's thing it will eventually install.  I do not believe there is anything wrong with your system.

Hope that helps.

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Funny, I just did a completely fresh install of FSX yesterday for testing purposes and I too noticed the "removing applications" message for a long-long time.  So I canceled thinking it had locked up.  Started again and this time I said I would let it run to see how long this message stood there.  I think at about 10-15 minutes I was about to stop it again and then "boom" it continued with the install.

I think being a program that eight years old install technology just is a bit slower.  My P3D install was lightning fast and is 10GB!

So I think if you just let it do it's thing it will eventually install.  I do not believe there is anything wrong with your system.

Hope that helps.

Clutch

Yea, that was the same thing I had.  I'll try it again and just let it wait.

Same here even wiped my PC last night just to fine the same problem today... Must be something with the new windows update causing it to hang on remove applications during the install. Everything else that uses install shield is fine though. Glad to see some if you got it.

We'll now it's installing... I found it didn't hang on removing apps as long after copying the DVDs to an external hard drive and installing from there... My relationship with fsx is truly love/hate

Yeah I've got the same problem, just reinstalled win 7 64 bit and installed all updates.  When I came to install FSX started removing applications it just stopped and I started it again at about 11:03 with the same result so i'll leave it a while.

Hooray, it continued with installation at 11:15, so on to the next issue.  Don't you just love FSX I'm trying to get rid of FSX hanging at the initial splash screen after I've installed Delux and Acceleration.

I found that using "uninstall" from control panel doesn't quite clean things up very well. You also should delete the folder that contains the program files and then run a good registry cleaner to sort out all the misc. stuff left behind.

Once you do that, all traces of the old FSX install should be gone and the install process of putting it back won't take quite as long... it'll still say removinb applications but, it shouldn't sit there forever.