Sign in to follow this  
ubersu

FS9 weather

Guest flyboy315

Firstly with the weather is anyone else having wild winds aloft transitions. Also i thought i read somewhere that weather in fs 9 was downloaded and then semi simulated the future based on meterological fundamentals, is this true, or do you need to get the 15 min update to get that. I havent yet seen a difference in the weather as opposed to 2002 in terms of functioning except maybe rain and snow, if someone could point out the differnces or point me in the direction of some info id appreciate it. Or like a brief rundown of the weather in fs9. Also any random tidbits would be appreciated.

If you have the latest addition of FSUIPC you will have smooth wind transitions in FS9. If you have the latested additions of either ActiveSky of FSMeteo you can have weather unlike anything you have ever seen in previous versions of MSFS.Bob

Wild winds aloft can be tamed, but not eliminated, by FSUIPC. The problem is that stations can be rather far apart, and I don't believe that FS smoothes the transitions at all. Likewise, metars can contain bad data that results in some wild effects - I once encountered an off scale headwind while attempting to land and ended up being blown backwards in an MD83! The 15 minute update feature is Ok, but I don't think a fair number of stations get updated more than once a half hour or hour, so it doesn't really do a lot except on rather long flights. I recommend the ActiveSky addon for weather - it does a much better job than FS, although not all wind problems are solved. Take a look at the ActiveSky forum here at AVSIM to get an idea...DJ