Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

GA Aircraft recommendations for cross-country flights

Hi all,

I'm planning to do a cross country flight in FSX from New York to Washington in the coming weeks. I was hoping to find some recommendations for a good GA plane to use for cross-country flying, especially as I'm looking to make many stops and take scenic routes. I'm looking at the Carenado V35B Bonanza and am also considering the larger Carendao PA32R 301 Saratoga SP (to give my virtual friends and family more leg room, haha). But I'm open to any and all suggestions. Are there any planes you like or would recommend specifically for cross-country flying (or even in general).

As always, I sincerely appreciate your time and feedback! I hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend!

Thank you!!

Hi Dave, I like the Eaglesoft Twin Comanche for low and Caranado Cessna 340 to go up higher

Ken Heibel

Bonanza is nice, but if you would like something a bit bigger, the RealAir Duke V2 would be a good choice..

Bert

I don't post much but I'd vote either EagleSoft PA30 (Comanche) or the Caranado PA34 (Seneca) which I've been enjoying lately.  PA34 has better cockpit visibility than the 30,

James

Slow/short distance - A2A 172 or Cherokee.

Medium speed/distance RealAir Legacy or Duke depending if you want low level single or high alt pressurized twin

Fast/long distance A2A Civil P-51, Real Air Turbine Duke, F1 Citation Mustang

Really fast Aerosoft EE Lightning.   

+1 for the RealAir Lancair for the sightseeing route and smaller airports. At the other end of the spectrum is the Flight1 B200 and Milviz B350...maybe 1 stop to cross CONUS.

Literally anything.  Well, maybe not the ultralight trike. 

I've done the cross country in several aircraft, low and slow.  I did it in a SeaRey (from the Discover Arabia package) Florida to Washington State duplicating Richard Bach's Flight in "Travels with Puff".  I'm currently doing Stephen Coonts' 48 state tour from "Cannibal Queen" in a Stearman (from Golden Age Simulations).  I'm considering doing NY to California in a Piper Cub duplicating the flight in "Flight of Passage."  I'm thinking about doing the NY to California early air mail run in a Curtiss Jenny.  I used to fly the Goose all over the place, including some around the world stuff.  When I first started with FSX, I flew the default Mooney all over the US. 

I wouldn't recommend a helicopter except maybe as a stunt;  you'll exhaust yourself.  But it's doable. 

Any of these aircraft would give you plenty of time to stop and smell the flowers, which is what I think you have in mind.  But it really doesn't matter, just pick one you like... you'll be flying it for a while.  :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Slower>>>A2A Piper or A2A Cessna

Faster>>>A2A Mustang Civil

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Realair Lancair Legacy

Realair Duke v2

A2A Cherokee

Lotus L39

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

No matter what GA plane you get, get A2A accufeel....(excluding the A2A Cherokee/172 or any other A2A plane with it's accusim pack as they already have it).  Accufeel greatly enhances the airplane environment.  

Also consider either the Reality XP GNS series or the F1 GTX series, they are much more realistic garmin than the default. (realistic flight plan entry, correct OBS function...etc)  Most planes mentioned above have 3d integration for reality XP.  F1 GTX 3D integration should start happening soon since it is a very new release.

Cheers

TJ

+1 for the Realair Duke v2, a great plane that I am currently flying around Australia. Also check out Ant's Airplanes Tecnam Sierra, a great one for low and slow.

Realair Scout (if you're going to land at some strips)

Realair Siai Marchetti SF-260!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Lionheart Epic LT is also a good choice. Much faster than most GA's and a pleasure to fly. The Realair Dukes would be excellent choices as well.

Turbocharged Carenado C337. It can land on, and take-off from short strips if you're taking the smaller airports and is quite maneuverable in between mountains, or difficult terrain. I take this plane everywhere!

Cheers!

Maarten