Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

LEST ILS app chart help

Came across this approach chart on navigraph - LEST ILS Z rwy 35 VOR/DME

I was shooting a CAT I but seen ILS 4.0 % and ILS 2.5 % and wasn't sure what this mean't or what one to select? Is something to do with gradient?

I decided for C 1430 minimums ILS 4.0%

Also why does it meantion VOR/DME when its an ILS?

Thanks.

Vernon Howells

The 4% and 2% are just missed approach climb gradients. The approach can be done with VOR/DME and no ILS.

Lower performance climb gradients require earlier missed approach in order to remain clear of obstacles during the missed app. You need to be higher off the ground when you commence the missed approach. So 2,5 requires a higher minimum than 4,0. Understand?

As for VOR mentioned.. You can see that Z or Y use different ground based navigation aids for the missed approach procedure. ILS 35 Y uses NDB and 35 Z uses VOR. 

Note I have not looked at the chart in question but ILS (precision approach - glide slope) mins will most always be lower than VOR (non-precsion - no glide slope).  ILS mins normally 200agl, VOR mins normally about 500agl

James

The approach can be done with VOR/DME and no ILS.

Negative. It is an ILS approach. ILS 35 Z VOR/DME does not mean that you can fly this approach as a VOR approach.  

However, if the glide slope is OTS, we can fly the Localizer+DME with the published minimums for that ...

The "VOR/DME" is the nav aids required for the missed approach procedure on this ILS approach.

Wanna fly the VOR approach? Then you would have to look at the VOR 35 approach chart.

Thanks that makes sense! So with an A/C like the 737 i use, i can opt for the 4.0% then? So i was right in choosen that minimum?

Vernon Howells

Lol. That all depends on your specific performance that day. Weight, temperature, one engine out(!?) :) Complex. But i'd say you're good to go (don't sue me :lol: ) 

An example:   4 % x 160 knots ground speed = 640 ft/min (required climb rate)

2.5 % x 160 knots ground speed = 400 ft/min

Brilliant thanks! Just trying to understand some of these charts, it can be a right pain lol

Vernon Howells

Brilliant thanks! Just trying to understand some of these charts, it can be a right pain lol

I hear you, keep on asking :) 

Got another one

ENSB ILS rwy 10 chart on any chart really, you have a T next to the degrees? EG 315* T

Does this mean true heading or something

Vernon Howells

Ahh thoughtso magnetic variation or something.

I've got all the oxford aviation books complete 7 for the PPL prob find more about it in there!

Looking at the airlaw book, don't think we'll need to know most of that lol

Vernon Howells

The reason for including true is that the magnetic inclination, or dip angle, at ENSB is 82.2. Making a magnetic compass possibly unreliable and erratic.

You're correct that the difference betweeen True and Magnetic is the variation (declination).

Looking at the airlaw book, don't think we'll need to know most of that lol

:lol: Yeah, for flight simulation purposes, you can skip a lot of chapters. Helps with the overall understanding of things though. 

Hi can you help with this -

FCTM

Low Visibility Approaches

A working knowledge of approach lighting systems and regulations as they apply to the required visual references is essential to safe and successful approaches. Touchdown RVR is normally controlling for Category I, II, and III approaches. For Category I and II approaches, mid and rollout RVR are normally advisory. For Category III operations mid and rollout RVR may be controlling. In some countries, visibility is used instead of RVR. Approval from the regulatory agency is required to use visibility rather than RVR.

Can you explain what MID and ROLLOUT RVR mean please?

Also controlling and advisory?

Vernon Howells