Sign in to follow this  
brucek

780 GTX: 3 or 6 GB memory?

I sim pretty much exclusively on P3D these days, and am upgrading from a 580GTX with 3GB memory. Is the additional memory (for the 6GB version) worth it for simming? My understanding is that it would be justified if I was running 3 or more monitors (I'm currently running 2 monitors, 1 for simming at 1080p, the other a lower res monitor that I use for nav charts and manuals, etc., however multi-monitor simming is always a possibility I guess).

But other than multiple hi-res monitors, is there any advantage to the higher memory version?

Thanks, Bruce.

I sim pretty much exclusively on P3D these days, and am upgrading from a 580GTX with 3GB memory. Is the additional memory (for the 6GB version) worth it for simming? My understanding is that it would be justified if I was running 3 or more monitors (I'm currently running 2 monitors, 1 for simming at 1080p, the other a lower res monitor that I use for nav charts and manuals, etc., however multi-monitor simming is always a possibility I guess).

But other than multiple hi-res monitors, is there any advantage to the higher memory version?

Thanks, Bruce.

Plain and simple more memory means better performance always has always will - forget 3 gig - I can push my 6 gig titan to the limits

Rich Sennett

Thanks Rich,  much appreciated.

One question.. does the 6GB version consume more power then the 3GB?  I have a 650 watt PSU, and right now it is running fine with an i7-2700 with a 580GTX (the "Classified" version with 3GB of memory).

Thanks,  Bruce.

Thanks Rich,  much appreciated.

One question.. does the 6GB version consume more power then the 3GB?  I have a 650 watt PSU, and right now it is running fine with an i7-2700 with a 580GTX (the "Classified" version with 3GB of memory).

Thanks,  Bruce.

Borderline Bruce but should be ok - take my word for it you want a 6 gig card especially if you are using P3D - good luck - look at the 780 6 gig cards - evga would be my choice - lifetime warranty and they mean it as I had to return my titan

Oh I had a gtx580 and a new card will be an amazing difference go for it you will be happy with your new card

Rich Sennett

Just checked my PSU... I have a SeaSonic M12 600W which I have had for ever....  it has never let me down... but now I'm wondering id I should upgrade to something bigger....

So I took a look at power consumption figures.... and am amazed to see that my current 580 GTX seems to draw more power than the 780 GTX.  Could that be right?  Is this a measure of efficiency in  a later design where you get more from less?

Thanks-  if anyone's still up on this thread...

Bruce.

Hey Richard,

I have GTX 770 2gig card and I was looking to move to the 780 or the 780ti.   The benchmark charts show a 2200 point increase in performance and the ti has about 3200 extra marks.   Performance wise, do you think I am going to see much FPS increase over what I have if I throw down the $450-700 dollars on a new video card?   Another 5-10 FPS would justify the switch but if I am going to see very little improvement I can't justify the cost since all my other entertainment software runs great as is.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Hey Richard,

I have GTX 770 2gig card and I was looking to move to the 780 or the 780ti.   The benchmark charts show a 2200 point increase in performance and the ti has about 3200 extra marks.   Performance wise, do you think I am going to see much FPS increase over what I have if I throw down the $450-700 dollars on a new video card?   Another 5-10 FPS would justify the switch but if I am going to see very little improvement I can't justify the cost since all my other entertainment software runs great as is.

Give me a sec. investigation time

Hey Richard,

If I was making the choice no brainer the 6 gig card to be semi future proof remember they will eventually have sli I would assume that being said if they dont then you would be better off with 6 gig card - look at this way its still not a Titan but close if I am looking for more out of a card then 3 gig is certainly not going to cut it

These cards shown are 3 and 6 gig cards price difference is not a deal breaker and to me I would be wasting my money on a 3gig card - anyone that says it overkill is sadly mistaken

The new card will be money well spent compared to your old card - you will see at least twice the performance especially as P3D has taken some of the load of the cpu and pushed it to the gpu (Tessellation) 

Take it as you wish 6gig card all the way and if sli ever gets there your second card will not cost as much as your first - I bought one Titan for the cost of two 780 6gig cards

Just make sure you have a decent power supply if you go sli someday - if I was to do it over I would go with 780 6gig card then hoping for sli as its going to cost me a bundle to buy another Titan not as rich as Rob  lol

Get aEVGA - rock solid and return policy is amazing life long warranty - had to return first Titan and thats a lot of money too take a hit on

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918&cm_re=gtx780-_-14-130-918-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487040&cm_re=780_ti-_-14-487-040-_-Product

Just checked my PSU... I have a SeaSonic M12 600W which I have had for ever....  it has never let me down... but now I'm wondering id I should upgrade to something bigger....

So I took a look at power consumption figures.... and am amazed to see that my current 580 GTX seems to draw more power than the 780 GTX.  Could that be right?  Is this a measure of efficiency in  a later design where you get more from less?

Thanks-  if anyone's still up on this thread...

Bruce.

Bruce your right at the lower limit on that power supply so should be fine use it until starts to go you will know when your pc starts acting funny or doesnt boot properly - good sign your PS is on its way out

Rich Sennett

Yeah I was staring hard at the 6gig 780.   I don't see that much a performance boost on the TI verse the regular and the TI 6 gig is over a thousand dollars which made me nearly faint.    

I think my video card is my bottleneck.   My 3930k is suppose to be a super beast and performs only slightly less than the new 4000 series i7's.   That 2gig video card though I think is getting trashed by the graphics engine.   I mean I have good frames now unless I am at a hardcore airport with AI taxing every where with ASN tossing out crappy overcast.   THe lowest I have seen in the last few days of testing is 18 FPS.   Average is 25 fps at busy airports.    If the 780 6gig can make my low end 25 and my average 30+ I'll be a happy puppy.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Yeah I was staring hard at the 6gig 780.   I don't see that much a performance boost on the TI verse the regular and the TI 6 gig is over a thousand dollars which made me nearly faint.    

I think my video card is my bottleneck.   My 3930k is suppose to be a super beast and performs only slightly less than the new 4000 series i7's.   That 2gig video card though I think is getting trashed by the graphics engine.   I mean I have good frames now unless I am at a hardcore airport with AI taxing every where with ASN tossing out crappy overcast.   THe lowest I have seen in the last few days of testing is 18 FPS.   Average is 25 fps at busy airports.    If the 780 6gig can make my low end 25 and my average 30+ I'll be a happy puppy.

It will give you more than 25 at busy airports I get 60 with heavy aircraft outside view and 35 ish on the VC view (unlimited FPS) of course 

Rich Sennett

It will give you more than 25 at busy airports I get 60 with heavy aircraft outside view and 35 ish on the VC view (unlimited FPS) of course 

It will be mine!  *_*

100454.png

Brian Navy

I have a 6GB 780 - you can easily push it past 3GB even on a single monitor in certain newer games when maxed out. Go for the 6GB one, it's worth the extra money to not be VRAM limited in the coming years.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I have a 6GB 780 - you can easily push it past 3GB even on a single monitor in certain newer games when maxed out. Go for the 6GB one, it's worth the extra money to not be VRAM limited in the coming years.

Exactly Ryan now get to work on my P3D PMDG birds please - thank you

Rich Sennett