Sign in to follow this  
fiftysix

Issue with Cloud Shadows appearing and disappearing in 2.3

Posting this here as well as will be posting this on the Lockheed Martin support.

Has anyone else experienced this with cloud shadows in 2.3?

First I noticed the lack of shadows, or apparent shadows in 2.3... but then noticed this bug. As you can see clearly in the video, when I pan slightly, it causes the shadows to switch on and off.

Its a real immersion killer that also distracts.

Please see the video below for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeWSZjKGBAg

I experience the same. Especially when using TrackIR.

EDIT: I'm not sure it is a bug, maybe just a performance optimization, switching of cloud shadows that are behind you. Once you turn to the side, they are switched on a again. I also experience this when turning my head to the side inside the VC. Kind of distracting. But if it helps performance... I don't know.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

What I did notice before I saw this issue was the lack of cloud shadows in general viewing/flight. Only when I pan my head/viewpoint with trackir or no trackir, the shadows appear.

Overall, the performance increase is great with 2.3, but these issues are really disappointing to the fact I would rather roll back to 2.2 until a fix can be made from LM 

Your assumption that it's a bug and requires fixing is commendable... however, I believe Carlo is correct in that what you are seeing is optimization designed to increase performance.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Assumption it only was. Kinda makes sense. Its more obvious if you are in spot mode and panning. But when in the VC, its not so apparent.

Thanks for your help and comments guys

I have the same issue, but had the same exact issue also with V2.2, so this isn't something new to me.

I was sort of assuming that the cause was using too high settings for my mediocre graphics card (GTX570). I may be completely wrong though.

Since the framerate does not improve when the shadows disappear, I guess that this is not a deliberate optimization.

Well, you would probably guess incorrectly. It is quite normal and typical to not render something that isn't in view. And the definition of 'in view' is always the quandary that has to be determined.

I suspect this is simply optimized rendering code, no more, no less.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Uh.... no.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

This doesn't happen on my P3D, so i'd say it's not a bug. On mine the shadows never disappear.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Hmm, wonder if there's a tweak to render particular objects that are not in view 

Why not just fly your flight from the inside the cockpit?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Why not just fly your flight from the inside the cockpit?

hi a part of his video is Inside the cockpit , and in bad wheather

its worst very anoying , more then pop up autogene in fsx ,

Just a quick look at cloud shadows at KDTW using P3D version 2.3.

I have TrackiR but have not used it since I got EZdok.

Best Regards,

Vonmar so your saying that you never experience what fiftysix posted even in foggy weather ??

Post a video of what you are seeing with P3D Ver 2.3.

Best Regards,