Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

What good data can give you

The below areas were all but empty in OpenStreetMap a few months ago and looked pretty flat and lifeless when converted to X-Plane. I regenerated the area recently after seeing lots of editing activity, and the results are great and instantly recognisable with the real life areas.

Alabeo_R66_2.jpg

Alabeo_R66_3.jpg

Alabeo_R66_4.jpg

Alabeo_R66_5.jpg

I hope the above will encourage people to update their areas in OpenStreetMap 

***Outstanding***

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Why are people still throwing money on ORBX?

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

The sad truth is that most people simply don't want to edit maps and would rather pay for a third-party to do it, i.e. A ready-made solution. The only problem is that such data in the UK is prohibitively expensive (We're talking over a million for the entire UK in high resolution) and I doubt any developer could afford to buy all the data needed to cover the UK in the detail needed and make a profit. Aside from hand-placing every single house (Which I think Earth Simulations have done, but not 100% sure), this is the next best thing and the data is improving every day. Check out France, Netherlands and Germany where almost every town has been done, and nothing can beat it IMO.

I think solutions such as ORBX are fine if you don't know the area you're flying in. The above screenshots are mistakingly called autogen, when it's anything but autogen, every building and forest is exactly where it is in real-life

I think solutions such as ORBX are fine if you don't know the area you're flying in. The above screenshots are mistakingly called autogen, when it's anything but autogen, every building and forest is exactly where it is in real-life

Full time P3D v2.3 user here with X-Plane10 on my MCP! So I use both sims often...

I'm here of defend ORBX a little, I get what your saying but their region products are remarkable....Granted their Global+vector+LC products are a world autogen solution but that gives you the ability to look good and get a unique feel no matter where you fly. That's what I pay for at least. If I want a region that looks remarkable with PRECISED placements ill buy one of their regions.

Nice shots btw!  Thanks for the share.

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

I'm here of defend ORBX a little, I get what your saying but their region products are remarkable

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing ORBX scenery at all, and I own several of their products, e.g. PNW, NZ and NOCAL. I'm very happy with these areas and they are a huge improvement over the default and they're accurate enough that it's possible to fly routes using VFR charts. I couldn't get used to the UK region however, and flying over towns I knew very well just ruined it for me because I knew that what I was looking at were random buildings and in some places it was quite far off from reality, including missing villages, landmarks, etc.. 

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing ORBX scenery at all, and I own several of their products, e.g. PNW, NZ and NOCAL. I'm very happy with these areas and they are a huge improvement over the default and they're accurate enough that it's possible to fly routes using VFR charts. I couldn't get used to the UK region however, and flying over towns I knew very well just ruined it for me because I knew that what I was looking at were random buildings and in some places it was quite far off from reality, including missing villages, landmarks, etc.. 

Their addition of landclassEU has really helped me out. I feel sometimes that its as good as VFR however, I am not familiar with the real world area so this is why i have that feeling!  :P

Their regional products though work great for me.

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

Well ... yes ... it's all about good data. If you haven't correct data, you have to approximate reality with a "plausible" approach. If you don't know a region yourself and fly over a plausible representation of it, why not? It still can give you the impression of being there, when the plausibility is good enough.

In regard of World2XPlane in conjunction with OSM, I remember a posting in a german flight sim forum, where a user absolutely refused to believe that the scenery was generated automatically (to be clear for those who don't know :wink: - automatically, but based on real world data ... and with some intelligent algorithms to add content like e.g. tractors or hay bales on fields and more).

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Hey that's excellent. What area so we can try ourselves? Yes this tech is looking really promising for good osm areas

What area so we can try ourselves?

Just north of EGNR in the UK along the coast, but other good areas to try are most of Birmingham and Edinburgh

Awesome shots and scenery Tony and thank you very much for every new version of your awesome tool and your amazing work ! :Applause:

I'm now using the 0.5.1 beta...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/448850-flying-low-with-the-bell-407/

I hope the above will encourage people to update their areas in OpenStreetMap 

+1000

Just start here and check if you can see your street and your house:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Then watch the tutorials:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Video_tutorials

And don't miss this:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners%27_guide

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Quality_assurance

Very good question if you think about "their" "vector" or "open" LC products.