Sign in to follow this  
tkellogg

Problems with P3d version 2.3 after overclocking

I am thrilled with version 2.3. I waa consistently getting 25 to 30 fps with PMDG 737, FIX global and vector, REX 4, tractoR, and Ezdoc. I built a computer with the I 4770 chip and Asus z87 MaximumExtreme VI motherboard to overclock. After four months I finally had the courage to overclock. I got up to about 4.6 before my problems began. Unhappy with results I reset everything to auto. Now I am having all sorts of problems running P3d. None of these appeared before attempting to overclock. P3D pauses for no reason in flight or will just freeze for a few seconds then unfreeze on its own. It takes longer to load and when shutting down I often get a fatal error. Track I.E. will work sometimes but not consistently even with both infrared lights on. Ezdoc sometimes appears on the add-on window and sometimes not. Since everything worked before I am assuming my problems are related to the overclock. I am wondering if these problems are related to my operating system. Should I reload windows? Has anyone else ever had this problem? If so how did you fix it? I don't believe I damaged my CPU as I have water cooling and my temps never got up but a few degree. Thanks for any help.

Are you sure that you set the BIOS back to default?

Spirit

Maybe better to look at a forum for OC for your CPU with your motherboard. You may get more information there. I hope you didn't kill anything.

Spirit

I think equipment is fine. The reason I think it was the operating system is when it failedto reboot and I lowered my settings for overclocking when it did reboot all the screens that came up gave instruction about the operating system.

Did you try a clear cmos on your motherboard? Did you stress test after your overclock, what did your CPU temps get up to? 

Ryan

This round I went the route of a full clean swipe of both my OS drive and my P3D drive.  Had the OS in there patching for nearly 4 years and P3D since v1.4, so I figured it was time.  I would suggest the same... if you have the time:

31 man-hours so far re-installing OS + 120 programs, apps, utilities, tools!  And that is not including any scenery or aircraft add-ons which is probably in the 100's.   But I can say I've got the quickest and smoothest OS and flight simulator I have ever encountered so for me it was worth it.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Temps never got above 30 c. I have quit overclocking and set everything back to defaults. The problems I am having started showing up more after overclocking not during.

Clutch cargo. I think that's what I will do too. It won't take too long as I don't have as many programs as you. Do I need to do anything like dragging or anything else prior to reloading software.?

hmm....I am overclocking successfully with almost identical CPU and board running 2.3...

After I tweak multipliers and BIOS settings I usually clear my prepared.cfg and let it build again...Maybe you can try this? Also at the same time this sounds like symptoms of a unstable clock...Im on a 4790k with the z97-ar and choose not to get passed 4.5/6Ghz

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

Re-installing software onto a pc that has unstable cpu/memory clock settings, is asking for even more trouble. Even setting the bios to default may not give you a stable platform. You should stress test your cpu and your ram, making sure it doesn't return any errors. For the cpu testing you can use progs like intel burn test, or prime95, my favourite. For the memory test, I highly recommend using Memtest86+. (the usb version) 

Jazz

Yes it did happen above 4.6. It seemed fine at 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6. As t 4.7 it wouldn't reboot. I got concerned when I dropped back to 4.4 and had a fatal error when closing p3d. That's when I set everything back to defaults.

If you got a 4770k to run at 4.6Ghz @ 30 degrees you must have some amazing cooling.  Can someone else back me up here?  I have a 4670k with an H100i and would be around 70-85 degrees with the voltage necessary to reach 4.6Ghz.

Ryan

If you got a 4770k to run at 4.6Ghz @ 30 degrees you must have some amazing cooling.  Can someone else back me up here?  I have a 4670k with an H100i and would be around 70-85 degrees with the voltage necessary to reach 4.6Ghz.

ya at 4.6 and 30 degrees it doesn't really seem right....That cooling would be un-real

Im with the h100i and a 4790k at 4.6 and im around 80 to mid 80's depending on scenery etc etc...

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png