Sign in to follow this  
tkellogg

Problems with P3d version 2.3 after overclocking

What voltage did it take for u to get 4.6

It took me somewhere around 1.28v if I remember correctly; however, it could vary significantly depending on whether you have a "golden" chip.  I definitely don't have a good chip as I struggle to keep 4.4GHz stable.  I use 4.0GHz for my 24/7 clock.

I tend to lean towards gogol's post in that you were probably experiencing thermal throttling during your overclock. If you have tried to run P3D on completely stock frequencies and voltage since then and still have issues then you may have damaged hardware. Even a moderate overclock without adequate cooling may lead to thermal throttling. I would definitely recommend stress testing your cpu and memory at stock clocks without turbo boost on, 3.5Ghz and run MemTest 86+ to rule out hardware damage. If all that passes and you have tried to reinstall P3D with no success then you can proceed with the day or so it will take to reinstall your OS and programs.  I would also reset my bios to default settings and do a clear cmos.

Good luck,

Ryan

Ryan

OP: How did you overclock?

Did you do it manually, or use the motherboard's OC ability (if any)

Also P3D, like FSX, doesn't seem to like heavy overclock's. Do you by chance have issues with anything else?

Well I think it was 1.5. I am in the process of testing using soda 64. I am not using my temp gauges on my computer but the ones aida provides. Obviously my gauges aren't worth a damn as I get readings on the cpu of 29 where aida shows 60s and 70s

Well I think it was 1.5. I am in the process of testing using soda 64. I am not using my temp gauges on my computer but the ones aida provides. Obviously my gauges aren't worth a damn as I get readings on the cpu of 29 where aida shows 60s and 70s

At 1.5v you would have most certainly experienced thermal throttling and a high chance you fried your chip.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1712954/paranoid-damaged-day-4770k-high-temperatures.html

Ryan

1.5v on a Haswell and then running stress tests? Oh man, people really love to burn money as it seems. Why does everybody who does not have a clue wants to get into overclocking? Just don't do it if you don't know what you are doing. Overclocking Haswell is not easy. You cannot just use some presets in the BIOS. Leave it at stock speeds unless you really know what to do.

In your case: If you really applied a VCore of 1.5v to the chip and then ran stress-tests, there is a significant probability that you damaged the CPU. Another possibility why you are getting those errors even after resetting the system to default values is, that Windows might have performed some updates which were installed incorrectly due to the unstable overclock and are now giving you troubles. Reinstall Windows (at default speeds, no overclocking) and then reinstall Prepar3d. If your problems are gone then you were lucky. If not, you have probably damaged the CPU.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

1.5v and stress testing!!! You will be very lucky if you haven't killed your cpu!

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

That is why I waited so long to overclock. Ok I am stress testing my Haswell at 4.4 with a voltage of 1.3. 10 minutes into testing and no throttling and no temps over 83. How long should I run this test and what is the maximum voltage I can go up to? If I don't have excessive temps and experience no throttling for an hour is it still possible I damaged my cpu?

Carlitto777,

While I understand your point I don't think I am entirely clueless. This is my second computer build and I researched a lot before I attempted to overclock. The problem is there isn't a lot of clear information on how to overclock. I saw a ASUS videon on the haswell i4770 chip with the asus z87 motherboard and tried to follow there instron. I don't remember anything telling you a limit of where to set the voltage. At 4.4 at 1.3 volts I have not experienced any throttling and temps are all below 86. I am hoping that I have not damaged the chip. Perhaps you might be able to suggest a good source of information about overclocking for those of us inexperienced with it.I built this computer speciffically to overclock.  I didn't spend this much on a computer to not try and overclock with it.

I would say that you are at your max temps at this point unless you aren't concerned about the lifespan of your chip.  I believe thermal throttling starts at around 90c-95c. You should up your frequency in increments of 100MHz or reduce your voltage in increments of 0.015 until you fail a stress test.  Some people stress for 10 minutes and some for hours and hours.  It's really whatever you feel comfortable with or have the patience for. I would be reluctant to go any higher than 1.3v.  Just understand that ASUS did a study on the 4770K and came up with the following generalization within their test sample.  Their tests were run on a closed water system comparable to H100i with a max core voltage of 1.275 under full thread load conditions. 

70% of chips can clock to 4.5

30% of chips can clock to 4.6

20% of chips can clock to 4.7

10% of chips can clock to 4.8

And if you are overclocking only for P3D  you are not going to see a big gain in frames from 4.0 to 4.5. I know some people on this forum have tested this and posted their results.

Ryan

Ryan

Thanks for everyones help. I am happy to report that after reloading my windows OS an P3d I am seeing great results. I seem to have isolated the problem to Ezdock. I am only running Track IR and prepar3d with Ezdock. With trackIR and P3d everything ran fine. When I added Ezdock TrackIR didn't work 50% of the time and I would get fatal errors. So I uninstalled ezdock and the fatal errors went away although TrackIR wasn't working properly. So I reinstalled TrackIR and now everything is running smoothly.