Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Pilatus PC12 (In development)

I flew with a real world PC12 crew for a week, back in 2009 in Idaho, while on a student exchange trip.

I was too young to know a lot about the operation of the aircraft back then, but one thing that sticks like glue in my memory of perhaps 50 take off and landings that week is :-

1. Take-off:  Power Lever full forward, FADEC gives 44.4 on the torque gauge. You can keep this full power on for 5 minutes, then you must reduce to :-
  2. 36 on the torque meter for the rest of the climb.  (Eventually you will then be governed by temps, at a max of 720 I believe.

So for me, the bit that Carenado have to get right on this aircraft, is the power delivery and torque settings.   It's an aircraft designed to be simple to operate (1 pilot certification).     If Carenado's model over-torques and goes in to the 'red' when the power lever is pushed full forward, (or gives a torque any higher than 44.4), it will sadly mean a case of just another set of Carenado "flying textures".

My understanding is that only the PC-12/47E (NG) has a FADEC system. Meaning that it would be unlikely for the Carenado aircraft to have this featured. 

The King Air range is also sing pilot certified with no FADEC. Not that hard to manage really, just don't push everything full forward and be cautious with the use of engine anti-ice with high cruise torque settings. 

I flew with a real world PC12 crew for a week, back in 2009 in Idaho, while on a student exchange trip.

I was too young to know a lot about the operation of the aircraft back then, but one thing that sticks like glue in my memory of perhaps 50 take off and landings that week is :-

1. Take-off:  Power Lever full forward, FADEC gives 44.4 on the torque gauge. You can keep this full power on for 5 minutes, then you must reduce to :-
  2. 36 on the torque meter for the rest of the climb.  (Eventually you will then be governed by temps, at a max of 720 I believe.

Max ITT is 760° on non NG PC12 ;)

Most operators are self restricting to 720° for longer engine life ;)

My understanding is that only the PC-12/47E (NG) has a FADEC system. 

No sorry, that's definitely not right.  Standard / Non-NG PC-12s have FADEC and will limit take-off torque to 44.4lb/in2.

This relates to the max rated power off 900kW for take-off / 5 mins of climb, and then the max rating of 640kW for the remainder of flight (which equates to the 36ib/in2 torque setting, that is set for climb).

If anyone is interesting in a great video of the PC-12 in operation, with the Boise based operator that I sat in with for a week, check out "Flight Video Productions PC-12" video (download) available from the usual places (Simmarket etc).  Here's a screenie from the film, where the climb power of 36lb has just been set after take off:-

565612.jpg

Max ITT is 760° on non NG PC12 ;)

Most operators are self restricting to 720° for longer engine life ;)

Yip.

You are correct in that even the early PC-12s will limit takeoff torque. However this is achieved through a torque limiter ( through the use of a governor for memory ). This is similar to a turbo normalized piston with a variable wastegate preventing the engine from overboosting.

FADEC is a profoundly difernt system to a governor / limiter. Think of say the C510 Mustang. The power leavers are simply a computer input devices, the power levers talk to a computer, the computer then controls the engine(s)

You are correct in that even the early PC-12s will limit takeoff torque. However this is achieved through a torque limiter ( through the use of a governor for memory ). This is similar to a turbo normalized piston with a variable wastegate preventing the engine from overboosting.

FADEC is a profoundly difernt system to a governor / limiter. Think of say the C510 Mustang. The power leavers are simply a computer input devices, the power levers talk to a computer, the computer then controls the engine(s)

I'll completely take your word on that.    However, the real point for this discussion is as to whether the Carenado will correctly model the '44' on the torque gauge when the power lever is pushed forward on take-off, and the correct flight dynamics numbers when torque is set to '36'  (or limited by 760 ITT) for Climb.      

Or whether when we push the Power Levers forward we'll we see 60lbs of torque and red flashing gauges!   :smile:   (as I fear). 

I'm...cringing (and taking cover). 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Seems OK to me, but I don't have any experience on the real type. It feels quite nice, FPS takes a small hit but not bad overall. It has some cool sounds for alerts, something different from what you're used to in Boeings and Airbuses.

I'm not going to give any recommendation as I don't sim nearly enough to give this a proper review, but at first impression it seems like a solid add-on from Carenado. I use it in P3D 2.3 by the way.

Seems OK to me, but I don't have any experience on the real type. It feels quite nice, FPS takes a small hit but not bad overall. It has some cool sounds for alerts, something different from what you're used to in Boeings and Airbuses.

I'm not going to give any recommendation as I don't sim nearly enough to give this a proper review, but at first impression it seems like a solid add-on from Carenado. I use it in P3D 2.3 by the way.

Thanks for your input. I value your POV more over what the systems nitpickers that always bemoan carenado have to say.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Can you post some screenshots? The shots from Carenado look great but I always take developers' screenshots with a grain of salt...

Craig, do you still have the PC12 video from Flight Video Productions? I used to have it (purchased through their site, not SimMarket), but lost it and when I contact the company via their site, I get no response.

Great recommendation for the video, thanks Craig!

I always replace the sound with sonic solutions or arezone if I can.

I find Carenado's sounds are good but not as perfect (especially in the VC a bit muffled).

Here is one I just bought for the pc-12:

http://secure.simmarket.com/sonic-solutions-pt6a-soundpack-fsxp3d.phtml

You can click on read more for the video.

I have to wait until it hits simmarket because Carenado don't use paypal.

Just bought the video Craig mentioned from pcaviator.com (could not find it on simmarket).

Here's a quick one from earlier (clickable for larger):

15336197862_0e246b6fd9_c.jpg

And a quick and dirty video. Keep in mind the FPS is not great due to me messing with my settings shortly before, not due to the aircraft. Ran at 25 locked earlier today in heavy clouds. Also, no procedures are followed whatsoever, this is me just messing around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL0uuXkWX_U