Sign in to follow this  
SirStiggie

Bored

I'm half going through that right now.  Here's some thoughts...

I go through phases where I'm learning, practicing approaches, etc.  I love to sight see but, since all of my scenery is Orbx, it isn't as real as real flying or even photoreal...but it's not bad.  I like to use flight following software like EFASS so I can see and appreciate all the hard work they've done and how real it is (and isn't). 

I fly GA mostly...more and more bush-type flying...but, sometimes, a smaller commuter like the Q400 for a change of pace.  One time I flew to all the towered airplanes in California...sometimes browsing the city's website to see what it's like to actually be there.  Seeing it from the sim, you wouldn't believe it.  Some of them are really cool and have interesting places.  The scenery will continue to improve.

One thing that doesn't inspire me at all is the idea of being a professional pilot.  I like to 'family fly' and seeing uniforms and a male copilot in the outside view...it's just weird.  I don't know why most aircraft makers don't get that.

I do get bored...or maybe frustrated...when I'm not inspired.  Another thing that's always frustrated me is that you land, taxi up and there's nothing to do but turn it off or taxi back out and go someplace else.  No solution for that.  Lately, I find myself loading on the runway and just going.  Sometimes a nice airport and do pattern work and then just fly out and explore with no particular direction other than "that way."  I've discovered a lot of places that way.  Orbx PNW is great for that. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I bought Arma 3 on the summer sale and so far, I have no idea what I'm doing. I just walk around and drive a car. Hehe.

if you get on with me I'll show you the ropes

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but the biggest contributors to FS boredom are longhaul and automation.

Same here, never understood why some people love long haul. 

With due respect, there's nothing fact-based whatsoever in these points though...... they're just personal viewpoints.

To some, nothing is more boring than toddling around in a single piston.   Long-haul and Autimation are not essentially 'boring' in any way, it is simply that the challenges are different, and they will appeal to different preferences and personality types.

Personally nothing bores me more than flying GA over 'pretty' Orbx textures but again, a lot of people don't feel that way;  it's just another personal viewpoint.

I think airliner fliyng, long-haul, GA, bush, etc, etc will only appeal to a simmer if they are fundamentally interested in trying them.   I don't believe it's realistic or useful to say "the problem is, long-haul is boring, so do short-haul instead" ...... because that's just your individual perception, tied to your interests and preferences.

there's nothing fact-based whatsoever in these points though

I(or ckyliu) never claimed otherwise?  :blink: 

In any case, the main reason why longhaul is boring (for me) is because cruise is boring. and again, I never said/meant it as a fact.

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png

To some, nothing is more boring than toddling around in a single piston.   Long-haul and Autimation are not essentially 'boring' in any way, it is simply that the challenges are different, and they will appeal to different... types. Personally nothing bores me more than flying GA over 'pretty' Orbx textures but again, a lot of people don't feel that way...

I think airliner fliyng, long-haul, GA, bush, etc, etc will only appeal to a simmer if they are fundamentally interested... I don't believe it's realistic or useful to say "the problem is, long-haul is boring, so do short-haul instead" ...... because that's just your individual perception...

I said I'd be in for some flack :lol: I think that ultimately it boils down to keeping busy during your flight, whatever type of flying it is you're doing; if you're not occupied doing something fulfilling, you'll be bored.

Toddling around in a single piston prop will be boring if you're not sightseeing, trying to navigate visually using charts, avoiding terrain and weather, managing cowl flaps and carb heat etc; following a straight line on the GPS in a default C172 across default Kansas scenery in good weather isn't going to excite anyone for more than a few flights.

Whilst the above is just a viewpoint, I maintain it's a fact that there's very little to see or do above FL100 in many of the tubeliner addons, if you're flying them as intended. I don't deny there are unique challenges associated with longhaul automated flying, but these remove many in-flight tasks and challenges thus leaving a void between departure and approach.

And so we come back to my original premise that the shorter the flight and the less the automation, the more potential things there are to do throughout the flight and therefore getting bored is less likely.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Of course, the above it just a viewpoint but it is factually accurate there is very little to see or do above FL100 in many of the tubeliner addons, if you're flying them as intended. I don't deny there are unique challenges associated with longhaul automated flying, but in the process they remove most of the in-flight tasks and challenges thus leaving a void between departure and approach.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I got the Q400.  Less automation, shorter flights (still pretty long if you want to).  It's similar to the J41 in a lot of respects which I wanted to replace due to the fact that it's pretty much retired out there and other things.  Great views out of the windows too.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Whilst the J41 is now only used for corporate charter in North America, it's still fighting strong elsewhere so you don't need to give up on it just yet:

• Eastern Airways have 17 of them flying on mainly domestic UK services
  • EasyFly have 12 in Columbia
  • South African Airlink still have 8
  • Yeti Airlines in Nepal have 7 (that must be some exciting flying!)

Those figures may be a bit out because EasyFly and Yeti are expanding their J41 fleets and SAA is reducing theirs.

As much as the Q400 is a revolutionary addon and technically superior, I still find myself go back to the endearingly characterful and charming Jetstream 41. Not sure if it's P3D compatible.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Whilst the J41 is now only used for corporate charter in North America, it's still fighting strong elsewhere so you don't need to give up on it just yet:

• Eastern Airways have 17 of them flying on mainly domestic UK services
  • EasyFly have 12 in Columbia
  • South African Airlink still have 8
  • Yeti Airlines in Nepal have 7 (that must be some exciting flying!)

Those figures may be a bit out because EasyFly and Yeti are expanding their J41 fleets and SAA is reducing theirs.

As much as the Q400 is a revolutionary addon and technically superior, I still find myself go back to the endearingly characterful and charming Jetstream 41. Not sure if it's P3D compatible.

That's nice to hear.  I have many fond memories of flights with the autopilot turned off.  Still remember the first one...KSAN to KSBA...VOR into Rwy 25 coming in over the houses.  It handles really nice.

Gregg Seipp

To me, it's not so much the length of the cruise in itself that makes it boring to long-haul, but rather the fact that you are generally on your own up there for hours as ATC very seldom gives you 12 hours of continuos service on Vatsim (I only fly online, offline IS boring and lifeless).

It's the dynamic interaction between man, machine and real-people ATC and fellow pilots that brings out the true magic of flight simulation to me.

Time to try something different: bms falcon 4.32 and a-10 dcs (especially when EDGE will  be released).

Nothing beats the experience of a live multiplayer dofgfight   or a  terrain masking flight at 100ft ... .

Start developing for FSX. Your time spent in the simulator will increase tenfold while your flying time will decrease tenfold. Once you've spent days creating stuff that is barely noticable 90% of the time, your appreciation for each and every add-on, regardless of inaccuracies and bugs, will increase tenfold.

Or hand-install worlfdwide AI. Should keep you busy for a while.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

However, despite the Q's greatness I still find I spend more time in the J41, there's just something enchanting about it.

I see that the J41 has a FMC. To what degree do you have to use it to manage the flight? While I don't mind "simple" use of the FMC, e.g., loading the flight plan into the FMC if that is the only way to get the flightplan into the GPS, I don't want to be "tied" to the FMC to the degree you are, for example, in the PMDG 737NGX. I'm looking for a turboprop that is somewhat  "ameanable" to hand flying. If you can point me to info (other than the PMDG site) that would give me more insight into the operation of the PMDG J41 that would be great.

Thx,

Al

I see that the J41 has a FMC. To what degree do you have to use it to manage the flight? While I don't mind "simple" use of the FMC, e.g., loading the flight plan into the FMC if that is the only way to get the flightplan into the GPS, I don't want to be "tied" to the FMC to the degree you are, for example, in the PMDG 737NGX. I'm looking for a turboprop that is somewhat "ameanable" to hand flying. If you can point me to info (other than the PMDG site) that would give me more insight into the operation of the PMDG J41 that would be great.

Thx,

Al

Not much.  I have done quite a few flights without using the FMC at all.  I just tune a VOR and *woosh*...I'm off.  You could use the FMC to get accurate airspeeds if you wanted to.  Takes a couple of minutes.  The only thing, make *sure* your condition levers are full forward before takeoff roll, and your start locks are removed.  Engine management is HUGELY IMPORTANT on that airplane.

Gregg Seipp

It's one thing to be bored during a flight for lack of things to do. It's another thing altogether to be bored with virtual civilian flight itself. Could be wrong but the weariness I think the OP meant is the latter. 

Typically that person HAS done it all, and over an extended period - I know I have; from choppers to GA to commuters to tubeliners of all ranges. I envy you if you've never been there. Me? Heck just look at my join date.

Regards,

Mark

OP: Have you tried FSCaptain? It makes each flight have a point to it.

I think AirHauler is like this too, but I believe AirHauler is more like building your own airline. I'm more of a fan of being the grunt of the airline, not the CEO.

In fact I really wish someone would make an addon that gives you the full experience, no matter how tedious or boring. Something to do in between flights. Heck maybe even add gaming like RPG interaction with fellow flight crew.

I like consequences. I feel with the PMDG failures and realism, someone could make a really great addon that gives that.

EDIT: Of course there are VAs as well, which is probably the best choice. But not everyone likes the idea of real interaction.