Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

Aerowinx 747 simulator -- why have I never heard of this before?

Wow -- http://aerowinx.com/

Its a stand alone simulator, it works over multiple OS, it can work in conjunction with FSX/P3D/X-Plane on one or multiple network computers; it works with cockpit builder hardware or touch screen LCDs, it comes with an instructor station, it comes with multiple computer licenses, it has a 300+(!!) page manual...among other great features I am just finding about.

Why have I never heard of this before??!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The ol' Aerowinx PS1 747 sim has been around for a looooong time and was the benchmark of true systems simulations long before we started seeing those advances in Fly! and eventually MSFS.

I remember visiting a family friend who flew for Cathay in 1999. Me and my brother spent the whole evening on that sim on his computer while the adults had their fun. I obsessed with trying to find it until I forgot I eventually kind of lost interest (I think it was the old copy of Tie Fighter that made me forget ;).

This reminder has only resparked my interest!

It'll be interesting to see how the sim has been improved over the last 5-6 years of development. If I remember correctly, the original PS1 (DOS!) sacrificed much for flight dynamics and was primarily focused on systems and procedural simulation.

Unfortunately in Canada, the only information on re-sellers appears to be a wholesaler. I'd love to download this right now and give it a whirl.

EDIT: Just looked at the price on the Aerosoft website: $409 US!!!!!

I had the previous version, it was the best of the best ! I practiced +1000h on it.

Well worth the price.

During some trips on the Queen, I asked to the hostess to show the documentation to the pilot. Generally I had access within 5 minutes to cockpit :lol: . I may say that many pilots bought it. It was before 2001 of course because now to go in the cockpit.....

Because we are in the cockpit builder forum : Home cockpit + Psx + X-plane Enjoy :good:

Regards,

Richard Portier

$400 is nothing.  Commercial licences for SimAvionics or the likes are tens of thousands of dollars.

Good to hear the good reviews, even with the past versions.

I am interested to hear it works cross-platforms (no more windows, yah!) and has a stand alone visual 'engine'. Really, all I would like to do is practice procedures, and learn systems (and use it on Vatsim). 

Has anyone set up Aerowinx successfully on touch screen LCDs? That would be the more affordable way to go then to purchase all the cockpit hardware.

Unfortunately there is no 'demo' or evaluation version, so I am trying to find and do all my research before I bite the bullet. 

I have had PSX for just over a week now, and it's worth every penny of $400. The original PS1 was a ground-breaking program when it came out in the late 90's - bringing a fully-functional procedural sim with an accurate FMS for the first time - well before add-ons like the LevelD 767 or PMDG 747. In fact, PMDG (as a company) got their start as a publisher - producing a full flight manual for PS1. It was only later that they started developing aircraft add-ons.

In terms of systems simulation, PSX is to PS1 as FSX is to FS5. It now emulates virtually EVERYTHING found in a r/w 747-400, with custom aircraft profiles to define the specific equipment found in various versions of the 744, from the very earliest models to the latest. It has a simulation of a modern FANS-1 equipped aircraft with CPDLC datalink communications, ACARS and a working cockpit printer. It has on-screen simulation of the Collins 2100 weather radar, and EGPWS with on-screen terrain mapping.

PSX was built from the ground up to make networking with external hardware and software extremely simple. Full control of virtually all internal functions of the sim is possible. If one wanted to burn out the upper-left internal light bulb in the #2 generator control switch in the overhead panel, it could be easily done with a couple of lines of networking code.

PSX itself runs under Java, and will work on Windows, Apple Macs or Linux. It is surprisingly easy on computer resources. Any system which will run FSX or X-Plane well, will certainly run PSX at its maximum frame rate of 72 FPS. The program does work best with a lot of monitor "real estate" - the more the better. I run it with two 28-inch monitors, which works very well indeed.

A single PSX license permits one to run up to 4 simultaneous instances of the software on up to 4 individual computers - ideal for home cockpit builders. All instances will run in perfect sync with each other via TCP/IP.

Free add-ons are avaialble to use either FSX or XP-10 as external scenery generators - I have been testing both, and they both work extremely well. The FSX interface permits the use of the combined systems online with Squawkbox or VPilot, with the ability to inject VATSIM traffic, into the PSX TCAS displays.

Considering how much PSX does, I am frankly surprised that it retails for only $400!

• Upvote 1

Not sure how hardware friendly it is, scanned the manual and didn't see any mention of FSUIPC or any HW manufacturers referenced so your options to use it other than Mouse/Touchscreen seem slim. Maybe FDS provided an InterfaceIT module for it using it FDS-SYS cards, dunno. Looking at the Youtube video there no LEDs active and no complex inputs given (MCP/CDU/etc). Looks like a few axis inputs given to the sim and maybe a "G" keypress to raise the gear. Not familiar enough with the software to know its limitations.