Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

Can't see anything at night...how to fix?

So I've gotten most of my other issues cleared up with fsx crashing, and my display settings but I'm still having one major issue. Flying at night is nearly impossible. It's like I can't see any lights at all, on the ground or in the airport. I did a flight to LAX last night and a flight to DFW tonight on VATSIM and I couldn't even get in on a visual approach because nothing is lit up. I'm talking like there's no lights to see until on a 3 mile final. 

I'm not sure if it's an issue with them  not loading or what but this shouldn't be an issue on my 4790k. The odd thing is, if I switch to wing view the lighting looks a lot better.

Any ideas?

Have you tried different planes,Has your sim always been like this? Do you see the lights at dusk , if you turn the lights off in the room your sim is in can you see them better.Check brightness setting on monitor,

check weather vis is not set at 3-5 miles in sim

There is a tweek someware here to make the airport lights

larger (scalar) you write in FSX cfg file.

have you or any adons made any changes to :

EFFECTS / texture folder   or

texture file folder

Download the Night Environment Berlin demo and see what it does for you.

If you are happy with the nightlighting there is Night Environment California.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I have only had fsx installed about a week so it has always been like this. The lights are definitely visible at dusk and I have not made any changes.

I am flying with the room lights off and its in the wilco crj with good visibility. What is weird is if I start the flight from an active runway from the same airport the lighting is good, and when I come back around to land the lighting js still decent. But it's like if I am flying to a new place the lights aren't updating or something. I will try to get screenshots.

Sounds like heavy weather or fog that is obscuring your view of airport lights.   What weather have you set and is it being updated?   What is ATIS' notification on visibility at that airport?   

Chris

Generally one can't see anything at night because it's dark!

If you're expecting to see something then adjust your screen settings.

Hi arnobg,

This doesn't sound like the solution to the problem, but just in case: make sure that there is no dynamic brightness or contrast setting enabled.  Either in the monitor or gpu.  One bright element will cause the entire display to be dimmed.

Jim F.

Thanks for the tips I will try all these later and let you know what I find.

Thanks for all the pointers, problem solved I believe. I think it was my monitor brightness. I had it turned down really low because i had the room lights out and it was too bright.

On a second note, does anyone know if theres a way to make the airport beacon stand out more? Hard to see it any further than 10 miles on a clear night.

Glad you seem to have fixed everything up.

I have to say the title of this topic made me laugh a little on the inside but it's great to see you didn't get too many smart backside responses.

I have an answer to the topic question but hey...........what's wrong with a little humour every now and again.

Hirdy

well since this issue came up...arnobg am glad you managed to sort out the issue, well i have one question..does anyone here know how to brighten the bloom effect or night city lights etc.. i have rex 4 , ftx global + vector as well as steves dx10 fixer.. i have installed sweetfx..but if i try to up the bloom effect the sky becomes too bright and there is no distinction in the sky or cloud or anything.. so it actually makes no point what textures i use for clouds or sky..i just want the night lighting scenario to be bright..any help ? 

On a second note, does anyone know if theres a way to make the airport beacon stand out more? Hard to see it any further than 10 miles on a clear night.

I don't think there is any way to extend the 10 mile limit, wish there was for certain objects or light. Don't think P3D does either but not sure.