Sign in to follow this  
bosflo

how is this possible?

So I have been trying to add some more ai to prepar3d v2.2 and I have carefully extracted woai files to a folder outside of prepar3d v2.2 to be one the safe side. I then move the aircraft folder and scenery folder to prepar3d v2.2 and when I load up the sim then it crashes to desktop. Fine, maybe something is not compatable so I remove both files out of prepar3d v2.2 but then when I load up again it crashes to desktop again.

How is this possible? if I remove the two files why does the sim crash again and again. The way I install should be safe because I don't want anything going where I can't see it. I have tried restarting the computer and nothing works. The only thing that works (sometimes) is system restore but it's not very reliable. I am very frustrated because I thought I was being safe. I hope someone can help me with this problem because it's really becoming a problem. Thanks

So you didn't remove all the mess (stuff) you had created. Maybe deleting the shaders folder can help or delete the prepar3d.cfg file and let it create new? What's with the terrain.cfg or scenery.cfg?

Spirit

The thing is that I did remove the mess which is only the two folders for woai (aircraft, traffic file) but the sim still crashes. I have refrained from using an installer directly into the prepar3d folder for fear of this happening. I don't think those two files get "sent" to the scenery or terrain cfg so I didn't check those. I am too afraid to mess around with those cfg's because they are too important. If you delete the prepar3d cfg file then do I loose all my addons? because I have not tried deleting that for that reason. I don't have as many addons as I did with FSX but it's enough addons to worry about reinstall. Thanks.

thers no problem deleting prepar3d cfg,   you wont lose anything,  you ll juste have to redo your setup I  p3d menu , graphic  control  etc

delete your prepar3d.cfg and let it rebuild - you may be fine then.

nope, didn't work. I tried manually installing a WOAI package and Prepar3d crashed as soon as it opened. I removed the two files and started up prepar3d again and it crashed again, I removed the prepar3d cfg file and it still crashes. Enough with this crap, I am keeping prepar3d v 2.2 and not adding anything unless it says specifically for prepar3d v 2.2. thank you for your help

nope, didn't work. I tried manually installing a WOAI package and Prepar3d crashed as soon as it opened. I removed the two files and started up prepar3d again and it crashed again, I removed the prepar3d cfg file and it still crashes. Enough with this crap, I am keeping prepar3d v 2.2 and not adding anything unless it says specifically for prepar3d v 2.2. thank you for your help

Does P3D v2.3 crash when loading the default flight? What's written in the event viewer?

Spirit

I've been running WOAI since P3D v2.0, and it works just fine for me. I used the same approach as you by copying over the folders...

It sounds more to me like it's a different addon causing it. As spirit_66 says, there might be some valuable information in the event viewer.

If not, I would simply reinstall P3D and try adding WOAI as the first addon. Be sure to only use FSX models.

Hope you get it sorted. V2.3 really is a lot better...

I am using Prepar3d v 2.2 and there is no event viewer, no explanation of what happened. It just crashes to the desktop. I may buy My Traffic, I heard it works for Prepar3d v 2.2. I am also not upgrading to 2.3 anytime soon unless Prepar3d v2.2. becomes unusable and I have to reinstall.

The event viewer is in Windows. Go to 'Start' and type 'Event Viewer' in the search box. You probably wont be able to read that much information out of it, but it's worth a shot.

If P3D works without WOAI, my best guess is that you are trying to use a FS9 model. Try downloading a couple of FSX models and install them. That way you will know if it's your WOAI folder structure.

Well it gets more confusing. I have been loading WOAI packages one at a time to make sure they work so I can keep adding more. I managed to get about 10 packages to work, but then one of the next ones crashed my computer. There are over 500 packages now so I really don't want to crash the computer if it already happens in the beginning. It will be a long long process and system restore only works sometimes. There is also no way to know if a certain package will crash the computer. Thank you for all your great advice.

Bosflo that is the best thing that you can do.  Add and test one at a time.  Another test to always do is check and see if you can save or open a scenario.  When I loaded up my sim airlines planes, I found I could not save or open a scenario without it crashing to desktop.  Found it only by adding one plane at a time and testing.  Found my airline planes had a file that P3D did not like.  Also, I cannot speak highly enough of Macrium, had an issue last night (still haven't figured out yet)where my sim kept crashing at startup after adding some planes without testing one at time, after trying the simple stuff, decided to go nuke and reloaded my P3D drive (that I have mirrored) and within 20 minutes, my sim was back to running.  I have learned to use that program and I back up only after several days of no issues.  This way if I crash and reload, it is only a couple of weeks behind where I was.

sounds interesting, tell me more about this software. I read on their website a vague description of what they do but I would like to hear a real world scenario. Does it mean that I use system restore every few days because right now I am using after each three packages and it doesn't work all the time. I have a lot of addons now so I am very afraid of starting to add WOAI packages because there is so much more to lose now, you know what I mean.

My system is setup like so:

C: Win7

D: FSX (soon to be wiped)

E: P3D

F: Aux Prg (Like ASE2012, NEXT, FSC, EFB)

G: Original (these are my downloaded paywares)

H: Download Pile (Anything that is not payware and I want to keep for the moment)

All of these drives are mirrored and backup on my external drive using Macrium.  The nice thing about Macrium is that I can place anyone of the backed drives on a different one if I need to.  Normally I back up/mirror prior to adding a major piece of software.  The nice thing about my setup is if I was hit with a virus or just did something stupid and it affected my Drive C, no issues, I just reload C, E, F and I am back in business in less than 2:00 hours and no need for reloads and license updates.