Sign in to follow this  
brucek

WideViewAspect=True?

Does anyone change this to "True"?  The default is "False"....I have always changed this to "True", one of many tweaks in FSX, and one of much fewer tweaks in P3D.   Now in v2.3 I haven't done any tweaks in the .cfg file other than this.

Thanks,  Bruce.

It's in the options within P3D itself. I personally do not like it that much. Though I have an HD TV which has a different aspect ratio.

It's supposed to be for wide screens, but it changes the FOV to be a bit too far I think. I would've preferred an actual FOV slider.

I have Wide-View Aspect Ration checked (in Graphics Settings), with a Zoom of 1.0 (for most VC).

My monitor is a 24" Widescreen 1080p (1920x1080 - 16:9)

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

+1 I set wide aspect ratio as well. I usually adjust the seat, back a little, to give a little leg room, and set zoom accordingly. Save scenario and I'm good to go. 

Cheers, Jazz

It's up to its own taste. I like it and have always set the tick in P3D v2.3

Spirit

I also have it enabled (using the option in P3D: no need to edit the cfg, so as such it's not a tweak  ^_^ ). I have zoom at 0.70 and with TrackIR that works fine for me. But this is a very personal subjective thing.

Won't call that a tweak and like to believe that the less I spend on .CFG the better I am and this option as a interface check box ;-)

So, Wide Aspect is ON here. For those not aware of this impact, despite it sound easy to test without consequences, the Learning Center shows an example picture in the Graphics section : http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/getting_started/options/display/graphics_settings.html

view_comparison.jpg

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

Is there actually a difference between setting this option and zooming out? To me, wide view aspect and zoom 0.7 looks very similar to no wide view and zoom 0.3. Anyone know of any advantages of one or the other?

Is there actually a difference between setting this option and zooming out?

I don't think so.

Without it I need to zoom out a bit, with it I need to zoom in, so either way is never right for me. I find it way to zoomed-out in the VC but in spot view its great.

Yes, there is a difference. The views look similar but they are different but only in small details (perspective and so on due to the different zoom). You won't be able to exactly match the two views up to the pixel though. 

The main purpose was to make the gauges round when viewed on a wide monitor. They used to look like an oval on it's side. The difference appears to be much less than before.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

My setting for "WideViewAspect" is "True". I use a zoom factor of 0.90.

Patric

The main purpose was to make the gauges round when viewed on a wide monitor. They used to look like an oval on it's side. The difference appears to be much less than before.

Vic

Vic is right, the main purpose of the WideViewAspect modifier was for primarily 2D panels when FSX was first released without it.

WideViewAspect was added with SP1, if I remember correctly, due to high demand from those still using 2D panels from the earlier era.

Nowadays, with VCs being the norm, it's all up to personal taste whether you use it or not. That is, unless you still use 2D panels.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato