Sign in to follow this  
Vollie

Auto throttle speed control

Yep, happened to me too.

It all transpired rather quick so didn't notice the A/T mode annunciated, so will check again on next flight. Think I was in speed mode though. A/T just let the speed bleed off, and didn't respond. Had to disengage and go to manual.

Yep, happened to me too.

It all transpired rather quick so didn't notice the A/T mode annunciated, so will check again on next flight. Think I was in speed mode though. A/T just let the speed bleed off, and didn't respond. Had to disengage and go to manual.

Yup SPD Mode was active for me too (highlighted on the PFD in pic), still no response.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

As a final elimination check for those who have experienced this problem check in the PMDG options in the FMS that your throttles never override PMDG's inputs with AT on. That will eliminate the possibilty of your hardware or FSUIPC causing problems...

Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Had this too with SP1b

Also saw a new thing in the options menu in the fmc.

ap/at turb mode trigger

Was set to 1kts.

Anyone know what it is?

Wasn't there before SP1

Anyone know what it is?

Wasn't there before SP1
Anyone that read the introduction manual would know what it is :lol:

Blast.. didn't read that one.. :P

Haha. Check the SP1 supplement at the end of the intro. It explains that feature more concise and thoroughly than I can on the forum :ph34r:

Just read it :)

Thanks.

me too, but do you understand what it does?

I do not :-(

For one, I have the FSX option for "Turbulence effects aircraft" unchecked (off).

I think this is recommended by PMDG as well.

So what does this new setting do then....nothing right?!

Is this setting only there to prevent AP disconnects due to turbulence?

Or is it there to keep speed (quicker AT response?) and altitude (quicker AP response ) better?

Rob Robson

Haven't paid much attention to it, but I thought it was to prevent sudden wind shifts.

Sudden wind shifts aren't a problem at all with ASN, so didn't think it offered me anything.

No need to disable turbulence with ASN, works great as far as i's concerned.

I have not pad much attention to it either.

But since it came up here I wanted to know what it does.

I guess we can agree that nobody really knows for sure what it does.

I use OPUS FSX for weather and camera/eyepoint views and both PMDG and OPUS recommend to turn FSX turbulence off.

I dont like the bobbing around anyway, so turbulence off works for me.

If I wanted to, I could turn on OPUS FSX dynamic head movement (a part of the OPUS camera utility that is build in the weather app) and that will, amoungst some other things, give turbulence effects.

Rob Robson

I was never looking at that by ILS approach, but from now on I will do that. I learned very important thing from this action.

I will do that in the future and looking to PFD if the throttle follows speed when in SPD (green light) mode.

I'm also experiencing trouble with the A/T now. I didn't before SP1. I was away from simming for a while.

The problem doesn't seem to be that the A/T wouldn't attempt to follow the assigned speed. It's rather that it acts too lazily.

Example: I was on final course descending to 4000ft with FLCH mode at 210 knots. When I reached 4000ft, I reduced a/t speed to 180 and added flaps accordingly. At 185 the a/t started slowly adding thrust, but too slowly. I was at 170 when the aircraft started accelerating back. Then I hit the glideslope, making me start descent. A/T did very little to stop me from accelerating, and I was very quickly at 190 and increasing when I disconnected A/T and set throttle to idle.

The weather was somewhat turbulent. Not hugely awful, but bumpier than average. Could the TURB MODE be the culprit? I think I should experiment with higher values for it...

Here's a screenshot of what it did to me today. It doesn't happen on every approach, about half of them maybe, but again, turbulent approach into EDDF and this happened when on glideslope I set my assigned speed from 180 to 160:

FJFx7YF.png?1

Speed dropped to 145, at which point I lowered flaps to 25 and set speed to 145. A/T didn't respond too quick and the plane accelerated back to 155 before slowing down. I managed to get her down without disconnecting autothrottle, though.