Sign in to follow this  
Guest smarti

FS9 - Disc 4

Guest franksalot

Just wondering, my fs9 disc number 4 has been in and out of my CD drive like a 'fiddlers elbow' since I purchased FS2004 sonn after it came out. It now begins to show signs of wear and tear; although at the moment it is still working.I'm thinking about what options I have when it does cause trouble (apart from cursing a lot!); I don't really want to buy a new FS9 Box, plenty of scope at car boot sales, but a no no for me. I have 'heard' of a fix; but that does not work.:) Anyone having the same problem? I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any ideas?KenSomerset, England

Guest Ken_Salter

A Friendly Reminder to All:Any discussion of software to remove the copy protection in the executable will be removed immediately and without discussion.To the poster - you can order a replacement CD from Microsoft.Also, please use the Search feature on this forum - there is plenty of discussion on this topic.I will keep this thread unlocked for the time being.Thank you for your cooperation.

Hello,No violation here - I use Alchol 120% - it lets you make a virtual copy ( on your own computer) of the CD. You then "mount" the virtual CD and FS2004, when it starts, accesses the virtual drive.I use this all of the time for my flight sim - great performance and painless.Good luck,Ron SagelNear KCHS

Ken, I don't know what the other Ken is talking about, but I heard that you can order a new CD from Microsoft for free. Hope that's true! I'm sure I will be needing one soon also.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest freff

>Ken, >>I don't know what the other Ken is talking about, but I heard>that you can order a new CD from Microsoft for free. Hope>that's true! I'm sure I will be needing one soon also.>>JeffI had a similar problem where after a year or so the disc cracked (from normal use....which seems rather odd but it's true) Anyway MSFT wanted to charge me for a replacement disc and they tried to charge more for it than the cost of the game in the stores. I found an alternate solution. Microsoft told me that they would only replace it for free if it was defective from new within the warranty period, blah blah blah.Good luck.

Guest franksalot

Hi Jeff,I had heard that about MS, then again I also heard that MS had charged charged half price for the set?? It maybe depends who handles the request :)Ken, I thought I might have put you 'on the spot', as they say, my post is a genuine enquiry and I do appriciate your diplomacy.Thanks to all for your replies.KenSomerset, England

Guest Ken_Salter

Hi Ken,I had no problem with your post...I just wanted to make sure any replies to your post were within the rules we have regarding this subject.Hope you get your disc fixed...

I think the key is perception -if MS has reason to suspect their product failed during normal usage, the replacement is gratis. If the wear and tear is from abuse, or lack of care, they are not obligated to replace the disk without some cost to the user.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest kurtj

Well I hope fs10 will can this having a cd in period and go back to the days of fs2002. I think it is necessary to keep the cds in pristine condition so when you need to reinstall it is very simple to do so. Just my 2 cents. That may be off the topic sorry.

Guest BrianC

I think this is quite unlikely. All of the games I've purchased in the last couple of years require the CD to be in a drive. It's the rule these days.

World of warcraft doesn't need a cd to run, infact you can share them with a friend.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest shanwick

Ken, from England that is :-) I have a piece of payware software called Blindwrite - all one word. You can do a Google for it. It allows you to make backup copies of CDs including the infamous Disk 4.Nobody ever mentions FS2004 Disks 1 to 3 which will also eventually stuff you if any of them get damaged and you need to reinstall the sim.I wouldn't be without Blindwrite. Simple and easy to use, it enables me to make backup copies of all my important purchases.David

Guest lemonadedrinker

I leave my disc4 in the dvd drive!! In the cd rom drive it used to move as I'd hear the computer whizz but now it's silent. Make of that what you will. I don't understand it either.

There is a program named Virtual Drive that will let you copy that cd to your hard drive and load it each time it boots after it's mounted ( copied). This works very good and will allow FS to load as if there is no copy protection and its completely legal. It is payware. Do a search Virtual Drive .Joe W.