Sign in to follow this  
Wolfko

Egyptian 737 - more about the accident

And so there is finally some info of the dreadful 737 crash 3 months ago off the coast of Egypt.According to the French newspaper Le Figaro pilots are to be blamed for this accident. They "thought" they switched the autopilot on but it did not 'work' so they were flying thinking the AP was engaged but it was not.The note is very brief and ambiguous (I am not even sure the translation is 100% correct either). Did pilots really switch the AP on or they only thought they did .. or AP failed to engage because it was defective ? Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Guest BrunoF

Michael,> They "thought" they switched the autopilot on but it did not 'work' so they were flying thinking the AP was engaged but it was not. or AP failed to engage because it was defective ? :) I would wait for the formal report

>On a side note, I woudn't trust the newspapers that much :) I>would wait for the formal reportThis is the whole point Bruno - so far we had aboslutely nothing on the subject and even some French authorities were complaining about lack of "transparency" in this invetsigation. Families of victims were also bitterly complaining about of any lack of information from Egyptians who are extremely careful to protect their travel industry. If this was a "normal" investigation I wouldn't pay attention to anything so minor like this Le Figaro's note however since this is the *only* thing we got so far it's importance is profound.Michael J.

Have a look at this photo from airliners.net and you will see with how much "care" the Egypt authorities handle the debris from the crash. It seems there is not much interest in finding out the real cause of the disaster. The proper way would be to put the debris into a hangar and put them together like a big puzzle - that's how it is usually done.http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=5203...atic=yes&size=LWolfgangedit: my appologies for the "wide" post.

Guest GalacticCowboy

Interesting... If you follow Wolfgang's link, the comment at the bottom says something about 737 wreckage from the Red Sea, but if you follow Gosta's link it says it's a 707... Otherwise they're the same picture... Who to believe? ;)

Guest GalacticCowboy

BTW, for anyone who hasn't figured this out... the reason Wolfgang's URL is so long is because the comment at the bottom of the picture is encoded within it... So if you know how to convert to/from base64, you can make it say anything you want. Like this:http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=5203...atic=yes&size=L

This is really strange :-hmmmWolfgang

Hi John,my appologies for the delay in responding. I saw this pic on airliners.net accidently 1 day before I read Michael's comments in this thread. So I went back to AN and looked for the pic. It was not on the front page any more and I had to search for it. I then tried to post the link to the pic exactly the way Gosta suggested (that's the way I ussually allways use). But these links only lead me to the blank photo without any text. Since the underline of this pic is important I then just copied and pasted the entire address from the address window of my browser and got the photo plus the text. That's why that long code was posted.I only can guess, that AN or the photographer found out, that his initial informations were not correct (as you said in your first post in this thread), so they changed the text. The origin text is probably still somewhere on their server, that's why you get a different underline when using the bas64 code as link. BTW, you still get there when clicking on the link in my first reply.Wolfgang