Sign in to follow this  
Paul_

Warp Tunnel effect when flying in bad weather

Hi everyone  ....

I did a night flight yesterday and the real time weather was pretty bad on my approach to the airport ..

Something I really struggled with was this 'Star Trek Warp Tunnel ' effect I was getting in Prepar3D V2.3 when it was raining ......

It was a round black hole immediately in front of me with what looked like shooting lines all around it pushing towards me ( I guess that was the rain)

Anyone else experiencing this ..... it's pretty off putting especially when executing a turn   

For information  .. I am using Rex 4 ... Opus weather engine .... spanning the sim over 3 screens

Looking forward to your thoughts 

Cheers

Paul 

My thoughts: Ever flown a real aircraft in that weather? You might be surprised at how it looks. The only thing I would change is the colorations of the precipitation.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

That's not a perfect representation but it's close to what it looks like in real life with landing and/or recog lights on. It's especially distracting during approaches in snowy conditions! To increase the realism, the "black hole" could have less well-defined borders and liquid precipitation could be less visible.

Ever flown a real aircraft in that weather? You might be surprised at how it looks.

I've seen the same effect by going outside when it's raining and looking up.  Snow is even more dramatic, but slower.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Hi

I have just seen a thread on the Prepar3D forum titled 'Rain looks terrible' and there is a way of toning down the brightness of the rain streaks ... so I am going to have a go at editing the rainfx file to see if it helps

I would send you the link to the actual thread but trying to fathom out how the hell to attach a link here is a total nightmare!!!

Cheers

Paul

I've only seen screenshots of this, not currently owning P3D, and it is a concern for me, especially since I want to use 3 screens when I get P3D, which may make it worse (?).  How bad does it look compared to the equivalent in FSX?  The FSX rain "tunnel" doesn't look so bad to me, but the screenshots of P3D do indeed look like a hideous wormhole, perhaps to the point that it would be a deal-breaker.  I thought they were going to fix this?

Only things that are broken require fixing. Things that need adjustment... not so much.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

They did correct the effect so now it will span all your screens , before it was cut off near the edges. It still is a "black hole" though.

P3D forums can get confusing because there are not separate subforums for different  versions and it's easy to find out of date/invalid info for previous versions. They should make a new subsection for each new release.

I see--there are two issues.  One of Edge clipping, now fixed, and one of Wormhole, and there are no plans to address the latter? 

And, no, WarpD, I'm not going to get into a squabble over the term "broken" or "need adjustment" because no matter how it is phrased, it apparently still doesn't look right to a lot of people, your own opinion being only one of many.   As I've said, I don't have P3D, and am only going off of screenshots, wondering if it really will look as unrealistic when actually using P3D on the screen in front of me, as it does to me in those screenshots.

There are some great videos of Train Simulator with rain effects which are out of this world  ..... They are posted under that heading  'Rain looks terrible'  on the P3D forum

Go and have a look ... Would be fantastic if we had that in P3D