Sign in to follow this  
Nick M

My love affair... With a Cherokee!

Hi All!  :hi:

Well - I've been lurking around here for an awful long time! Far longer than the 'joined date' over to the left suggests. Lets just say I've got happy memories of the Rambow/Chaffin/Visser R4D and still pine for the wonderful Falcon 50 CAEA by Yannick Lavigne, Fred Banting and Rob Young... (nostalgic yet?)

Anyway, times move on and I've enjoyed all sorts of wonderful add-ons: most memorably FSD's old Commander 115, the ground-breaking RealAir SF-260 and more recently, the fantastic Majestic Software Q400.

Most of these, I probably wouldn't have come across without the help of Avsim, so I figured it's about time I said a (very, very) belated 'thanks' to Tom and everyone else at Avsim for this great site. Perhaps the greatest bit of freeware there is!

However, it's the wonderful Piper Cherokee by A2A Simulations which finally inspired me to crawl out from under my rock! I've truly connected with this little aircraft. I'm not sure whether it's because the product is so immersive or if it's due to the characteristics of the real 1960s PA-28 the add-on is based upon. Either way, it feels like my proper little aeroplane! :smile:

I reckon the Cherokee really just looks the part too. I guess this says an awful lot for the genius of Karl Bergey, Fred Weick and John Thorp who designed the original PA-28 (though the modellers at A2A have done a wonderful job as well!) In fact, I was so taken with its looks that I decided to try my hand at some repainting following the example of talented individuals here like Ron Attwood and Tim Scharnhop.

So rather than turn up at the party late and empty handed, I've just uploaded my first repaint to the Avsim library: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Piper+PA-28+Cherokee+%28G-AVSE%29&CatID=root&Go=Search

I know I'm not really supposed to post screenshots here, but hopefully one won't hurt...

G-AVSE_1.jpg?dl=0

I've tried my hand at repainting a few other liveries for the Cherokee too. I plan to upload these to the library as well, but will probably tinker with them a little beforehand. in the meantime there are download links and some more screenshots in threads like this one at the A2A forums: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=41235#p310520

All the best,

Nick

P.S. Thanks also to the Avsim file library guys for dealing helpfully and patiently with my dufferish attempt at uploading my first file!

Nick M - A2A Simulations

Totally agree - the A2A Cherokee is another FSX Classic!

Just hoping the A2A team will release a capability to include the Flight1 GTN750 in the panel..

:P

ps. Really nice paint job.. ^_^

Bert

Really sexy paint job Nick!

Love your repaints, have many of them.

Mauricio Brentano

I agree. The A2A Cherokee is greater than the sum of its parts. There is something indefinably immersive about it - akin to owning and operating your own virtual aircraft. The best flightsim add-on of 2014, bar none.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

Very nice Nick, I've been on the fence with the A2A Cherokee but think I may just have to get her :rolleyes:

Cheers

Martin

How the heck did I miss that one?! That is one purty erplane Nick. I wish I'd done it myself. Consider yourself a 'talented individual' :good:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Thanks chaps for the kind words. Paul - I think you put it very well. The other add-on I remember in this way as being 'more than the sum of its parts' was the RealAir SF.260 when it was first released: that one kept me entertained and slightly awe-struck for ages too.

I'm gradually updating repaints as necessary and uploading them to the file library. I posted a bunch of screenshots in this thread...

Nick

P.S. Ron - I'll see if I can convince my other half about the 'talented individual' thing. I'm not sure she really approves of me 'colouring-in aeroplanes' any more than she does me 'flying' them!

Nick M - A2A Simulations

If you liked the SF260 you should check out the their Lancair Legacy... Superb plane like the A2A Cherokee.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That really is the amazing thing, A2A has manage to make a rather mundane airplane like the Cherokee, and turn it to something wonderful and enjoyable to fly.  I was happily enjoying their stable of thoroughbreds...ie Spitfire, P-40, Mustang...etc....I mean why drive the proverbial Ford Focus or Toyota Corolla when you can drive the proverbial Jaguar E type or Shelby Cobra....well, because it is A2A.  They have a funny way of making you excited about planes that you would otherwise have no interest in.

I still enjoy the Cherokee very much, tho I have brought back some balance and strapped into the virtual thoroughbreds again.  I feel there should be a healthy balance between the reality machines and the dream machines lol.

Cheers

TJ

Thanks Ryan, I've bought everything made by RealAir (for FSX anyway) and the Legacy is indeed a beautiful work of art (as is the refreshed piston Duke).

This is going to sound a little odd, but I reckon part of the reason the Cherokee has really got under my skin is because it not too sexy! It's just the kind of plane I could conceivable buy a share in if I ever took up flying for real. Yep, I'll continue to fly those thoroughbreds too TJ, but somehow I've really bonded with the little Cherokee

Cheers,

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

I also learned to fly on a Cherokee - it's a nice plane... For some reason I just couldn't get into their Cessna... But I'm sure those who trained in Cessnas feel the same way about the Cherokee.

P.S. Oh my goodness I only now realized the Rob Young who worked on that lovely three Holer is the same Rob from Realair! Sweet!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

P.S. Oh my goodness I only now realized the Rob Young who worked on that lovely three Holer is the same Rob from Realair! Sweet!

Yes indeed! I believe Mr Young has had a hand in various great 'non-RealAir' add-ons over the years.

I'm the same in that I've 'gotten into' the Cherokee much more than I did the Cessna 172. I think part of the reason is because the real 1960s Cherokee C has such an atmospheric little cockpit: very 3D looking and that comes across well in the sim. In fact, the Cherokee seems to me a much better 'cross-over' from the 1930s/40s warbirds that A2A do so well. After all, she's fifty years old and a classic in her own right.

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

I got my wings and a lot of my training in 172s, I prefer the Cherokee.  The Cherokee is more stable, especially in cruise and IMC, easier to fly in general,  The 172 is the better training plane because it does make the pilot work a little harder and focus on precision flying.  I think because I got a lot of time in the Skyhawk compared to Cherokee, the Cherokee appealed to me more so I could experience the other side of the fence.  

There was an FBO that I rented from that had the usual assortment of planes.  They also had a 1960 Comanche that was /U with just the basics in nav equipment, and a new (at that time) 172SP with all the bells n whistles....full garmin suite, moving map..etc.  Between the two, I would pick the Comanche any day.  

Cheers

TJ

Well - the love affair continues although I'm away from my flight-simming PC for a few days.

Instead, thought I'd post this self-indulgent screenshot of a panel mod, inspired in part by a comment on the A2A forums about a retro 'underpants brown' panel...

brown_panel_new.jpg?dl=0

I'm sure you can spot the deliberate mistake...  :wink:

I wish Majestic would hurry-up and release the Q400 pro version so I'm tempted to go and fly something else!

Nick M - A2A Simulations

I know I'm not really supposed to post screenshots here, but hopefully one won't hurt...

+1 again for that paint job.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.