Sign in to follow this  
Guest Herrie

Survey

Guest pilot_guru

>If you still believe this survey was not commissioned by Microsoft>well then you must be calling Tom's character into question.Your statement, above, doesn't even warrant a reply!>Why can't this just be a simple survey Microsoft has>implemented to try and gather information that just might make>this simulator you spend hours enjoying better at the next>release.Maybe if Microsoft had 'advertised' that they were doing a survey, then people wouldn't have concerns. I don't seem to be the only one who is/was concerned. Thank god I don't live under mothers apron.Identity theft is a huge issue world wide and if you haven't been subjected to it, you have no idea of what it does to you! I have been subjected to it, suffered the humiliation, anger and heart-ache that it produces. You want to try it sometime, then you will know why people are concerned about Privacy issues.>Why all the conspiracy issues? I must be blind, I don't see any conspiracy issues, maybe you would like to point them out so all can see them.Maybe the word you were looking for was 'paranoia', not conspiracy.>My goodness folks, this is a $50.00 piece of software!lol, might be where you live, cost me over $120.00 where I live. There are a lot of us that don't live on American soil. (going on your quoted price - I assume you live on American soil)I will continue to question issues involving end users Privacy, where no immediate identifying factors are initally present as to the authenticity of authors, companies or whatever. Not everyone who participates in surveys etc is an adult, many are kids who can't make an informed choice as to provide the information asked for or not. They don't have the ability to read between the lines or the ability to assess possible dangers, as adults can (or should be able to do).The original statement on the front page about the survey was done in good faith, but could have possibly been worded better to allay peoples concerns/fears. Microsoft could have/should have been a bit more forthcoming in the information department.Dave

Guest bobsk8

Maybe they want to see how many people are running FS9 minus the 4th CD in their harddrives. :)

Dave whatever your smoking I want some of it... :-boom You have nothing better to do than get on a trusted site you go to everyday and question a simple Microsoft survey... I guess now we have to watch for viruses every time we visit Avsim or Flightsim.com, just accessing this site can bring our computers to their knees (sounds to me like you need better virus protection software). If you take the time and visit other FS related sites you'll see this survey posted and therefore legitimate. If Tom and the boys at Avsim, Flightsim.com, Simflight, and FSNordic tell you this is legitimate I see no reason not to believe them. What more proof could you possible want I'm sure they've tested everything out...You act like the type of person who's afraid to walk outside for fear of a rock hitting you upside the head. This is life, no matter how cautious you are things could still happen (and that's without having thousands of other individuals before you try something without incident). Try getting your pilot

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Well, of course Microsoft is EVIL incarnate. The slashdotkiddos ®©(p)tm patent pending say so every day after all.

what spyware stuff?Either you deliberately misread the information to see some conspiracy in it or you're extremely intellectually challenged (and that was very hard to write for someone who refuses to be politically correct).

I suspect that Microsoft is making a sincere effort to analyze how FS2004 performs on a wide variety of systems in order to tune the next sim's performance better. Likely they contracted with a third party to create such a tool--everyone outsources these days and even Microsoft may find that easier, given the pressure to release a new product every couple of years.I am always leery about installing any software which reports back on my system, but when it serves a legit purpose I consider it an acceptable risk. In this case, those participating have a chance to feed Microsoft real data which may result in a highly optimized sim. Tom's word is enough for me, and for those community members who can't design aircraft, scenery, or create tools for our hobby--here's a chance to give back in another way that may help everyone.-John

I too saw nothing about spyware, yet folks are talking about it.Perhaps they misread? Perhaps the survey was changed?bt

No spyware issue at all. The issue is that the program will 'phone home to report some FS9 useage statistics. Anyone paranoid about that with MSFS probably shouldn't even leave the house. Or, maybe Billy really is using this as a means to track all your add-ons. And maybe even have a peek or two at your address book. Ever use your credit card on the internet? Better lock it up if you're chosen for the survey. :-)Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Nothing changed. They state specifically that the program sends a report about how you use FS (when the program is connected, so you have to explicitly start it).Some people consider that to be spyware, but those people are ignorant about what spyware is... Spyware means the data is recorded and sent without the explicit consent of the user, which in this case is clearly not happening.

As long as software is open about what it sends home and why I don't care.Microsoft in all cases I've encountered gives you the option to not send the data and always allows you to review the exact data being sent.Can't get more open than that.

Guest ScottPilot

Yep, I took it.Scott :-)

I tried to take it, but the site was slow and at times seemed to hang for a long time before proceeding to the next page. I got it 98% done, but after that the page hung up for over 7 minutes, and I just quit. Maybe I'll try again in a couple of days, but won't loose any sleep if I don't take this survey!

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Well, I took it also, I have no objection to answering questions within reason and I certainly am comfortable with pretty much anything that Tom ( and Nels too, for that matter) say is legitimate.I am less comfortable with the idea of FS calling home unless I know exactly what's being transmitted. I go to a good bit of trouble to try and keep spyware ( however you want to define it) off of my machine so we'll have to see about that part of it. Most probably I won't be selected for the survey so this issue may not come up. I do hope however, that the people at MS or whoever is using the data will be upfront about exactly what it is that they are collecting since that will help people like me make an informed decision about whether or not to participate. From reading this thread, there would appear to be a number or "Serious Simmers" who feel this way and if we are either excluded or self excluded, then the sample is going to be biased and of less value.Ed GreenKCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/DEV.jpg

Here are the words from MS"If you

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."