Sign in to follow this  
rbcoair737

FS9 Freeze at Splash Screen

Hello,

I am aware this is a recurring topic for many users.  I have searched the last four days tirelessly on this forum, and another approximate 15 forums.  I am having no luck.

ISSUE: When loading FS9 it gets to the Splash Screen then stays there.  I have to CTL ALT DEL out of it to stop the program.  This happened 4 days ago.  I exited the program because I was upating some scenery files in my library (again nothing that was a new addition that the program had not had before at some previous point) and I exited the program and when I went to start it up it just stayed at the splash screen.  Sometimes it will load the scenery files then freeze, other times it will just freeze right away. 

I have tried the following things:

• System Restore
  • Read and tried all of these suggestions from MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837195
  • Verified DirectX is up-to-date and not missing files
  • Checked for problems with my NVIDIA Card and tried to update it but was unable to.
  • Deleted/Replaced/Renamed FS9.CFG
  • Attempted to modify some of the entries in the FS9.cfg that were previously reccomended.
  • Tried the NO CD replacement of FS9.exe, that one cant find the program.
  • Tried the flight1 registry repair but it cannot find my FS9.exe.  I know where it is, the repair tool can't find it.
  • Tried doing a hard boot in safe mode on my computer.
  • Used the event viewer to try and see what is going on and it has numeruous DLL file error reports. 
  • No new software was added anytime near the vicinity of the start of this crash. Also the most recent add-on items worked fine for several weeks up to the crash.

Other Items of Note:

• Re-installing is not an option for me.  I can't find the other 3 disks anywhere. 
  • For some reason I am now getting a message that "Weather.dll is not working properly but other features will be available, the following feature will be disabled". - Still after getting the weather.dll message above, it just stays on the permanent splash screen like normal.

I am SO desperate for help here.  I don't know what to do.  As I said before, I don't know where my other 3 discs are to re-install the game.  If I had them I would have re-installed from scratch without a second thought.  I know this sounds crazy and lame but this game has been such a huge part of my life the last 9-10 years and I can't imagine what I am going to do not being able to play it anymore.  It's extremely depressing.  Every night when I get home from work at the airport I go straight to FS9 and start up a flight. I AM BEGGING SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!

I have had a few instances of a crash on splash screen (not a freeze though).

Case 1:   I had a Lua script called up in FSUIPC.  For some reason, it was invoked twice from two different places and that was enough to cause a crash.

Case 2:  Crash without any message.  That was a corrupt Level-D 767 license.  I was able to see the message only in safe mode.  I recovered by just starting the aircraft install and aborting it.

Unfortunately that does not look like your issue but it may give you a hint,  or help others.

Good luck.

Phil

If you can remember which scenery files you were updating: go to your Scenery.cfg in the main FS9 folder, open it in Notepad, scroll down to each scenery you were updating and change Active=True to Active=False and restart FS9.

If this works, change each one back to =True one at a time and restart FS until you get the freeze again.

I Figured Out The Problem!!!

Finally! So while using event viewer I looked back and traced the crashing to DLL files. Almost all of them are causing it to crash. Anybody know how to fix this?

To be more specific it's my modules that are causing the problems.

Faulting process ID is 0xdbc

Edited by firehawk44
Removed all caps text (shouting)

Do you have a solution Calvin or just commentary?

Honestly, it sounds like your Installation went kaput, there is no magic "fix" for startup crashes from DLL's, it's really not the actual "DLL" that's causing the problem, it's just what Windows reads as the effect. 

The last thing I would try is a system restore: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/system-restore

If that doesn't work, the only thing else would be a re-install. You can get a new FS9 on ebay for extremely cheap. 

Thank you! I am ordering one Monday. Just thought id check to see if there was a work around...

Why don't you order a new FSX copy? or P3D License, you don't need to wait!

Curses to you!

Another comment like that and the Troll option will be initiated if it hasn't already been done so!

Another comment like that and the Troll option will be initiated if it hasn't already been done so!

I second that emotion!

I have FSX but my computer is very slow with it and I also have hundreds of dollars of add on items for FS9 of which quite a bit of it will not work in FSX.

What happens if you delete your fs9.cfg file? Fs9 should rebuild it and start up. If not then it should give you a message as to what file or files are corrupt.

Hey rbcoair,

i have the same problem like you, there are two/three solution for me:

1. often it helps to use the Flight1 RegFixer

2. sometimes it helps to delete fs9.cfg

3. sometimes (like today!) 1 and 2 dosen't help so i need to start with a fs9.cfg which would be created in case of 2., this cfg-file has a size of 10kb. After these file swapping procedure, i start with a backup fs9.cfg and good old FS9 is like before.

I can send you the .cfg file, write me a PM! Please don't give up FS9!

I also watched the event-logger a couple weeks before, but i couldn't find any faults. I must carefully read the posts before, so i can help to find the issue, i just want to help you quick!

take care

Uwe