Sign in to follow this  
RobbieHe

Ready For Pushback-2nd Generation Download

I'm considering getting the Ready For Pushback-2nd Generation Download. Anyone have it?...like it? ...good points, bad points? Thanks!-=MAB=-

Guest panda234

all good points, no bad points. :-)

Guest Keyser Soze

Hi,it's a fantastic add-on. Beside PSS Concorde 2004 and LDS 767 it's the most complex simulation for FS2004. The only "bad point" is maybe not state-of-the-art panel graphics in the manner of PSS Concorde but you won't mind when studying the comprehensive manual and control all the systems ;)

Guest benw

I had the previous generation version and although it looked very 'complete' as an aircraft, I couldn't forgive things like default quality bitmaps for the radios, and the vertical speed indicator etc, not for that kind of $$$$$.

Like the previous poster says, the graphic quality puts it off a bit unfortunately. The systems are a real challenge, and if you can forget about the panel bitmaps you'll have hours of fun. But it's not the kind of plane I pick up regularly, it just doesn't give enough of a "feel there" (no, not the company) experience.But what I find much worse than this is the oppisite approach, like CS 707. Looks great but the systems doesn't work properly. The panelshop staff are dedicated knowledgable people who just happends to be in bad need of a new panel guy ;)In fact I think many of us would welkome (and even pay some money for) an update with completely new panel bitmaps, and maybe some gauge facelifting. I know PMDG is gonna grab a great bite of the heavy jet market with the 747-400 (PMDG = visuals AND systems top notch), but that's gonna be a glass cockpit, RFPB is steam and I want both :)brEagle

I had to say that it is the most complex simulation for FS2004. You have to be the pilot, copilot, and engineer. You really have to fly this thing, so you are considered a pilot rather than some FMC's copilot. You learn about systems. It's excellent!RH

I think RFP2 is excellent... hard work... but excellent.The panel graphics look a tiny bit dated, but that's not the point of this simulation... systems... lots of complex systems to learn and control. That's what it's all about.Install the CIVA INS and get hold of a few of the panel mods and your away...Paul (SPIM)

If you are really serious about flight simulation, then RFP is the way to go. To run this thing correctly, you have to know it inside and out. If there were ever a Master flight simulator certification, RFP would be a mandatory learning. The aircraft with FMC are just too easy. You don't really learn systems. If you master RFP first and then move onto say a well modeled 747-400, you will have a greater appreciation of what goes on behind the scene. You will know why, for example, your computer is transferring fuel from one tank to another or other details about the electrical system or the hydraulic systems that are automated in the 747-400. In short, I recommend RFP-200 as a learning tool as well as a fine stand alone simulator. It's simply the best in my opinion, and I will be at a loss if there is not a patch or another made for FS2006. Don't wait, get it now! That is, if you are really serious about PC flight simulation.RH

Guest panda234

The panel is what it is, an almost exact replication of a fully functional 30 year old 747-200. If you want a shiny new glass cockpit this is not for you, but for what it's trying to represent it's a work of art. Give it a go, you'll love it...billg

They came out with a patch last fall that updated the panel and VC look a little bit. The systems work great, very close to how things should, according to an old UAL 747-200 AOM I have. Accurate autoflight, FFRATS, fuel management, and nice flight model. I would recommend it for somebody who is willing to sit down and learn it.

Ready for Pushback is truly for those who want to learn about a commercial jet aircraft's main systems in general and about the 747-200 in particular. Like already mentioned, it is not for you if you want a modern glass cockpit with state of the art digital instruments or if you don't have the patience to read about 300 pages of manual before you can even understand how to start the engines! But, once you understand how it works and it is really not that complicated, then you'll be on your way. The CONS: I find the manual is a bit confusing in the way it explains the systems; the wording is confusing and uses technical terms to explain other technical terms but once you read it a few times, you'll understand.Enjoy!John

But, you have to admit that the included videos really help in understanding the systems and manual.RH

Guest panda234

Yes, the videos are a great help. I'm surprised that more companies don't do it as it is such a fast learning curve. billg

I found the manual pretty easy reading myself. I had to research other data to understand the INS, however. I too am surprised that more companies don't do them (the videos). BTW- For those of you who don't know. The videos are available for a free download at the RFP site.RH

The only negatives I have is the lack of caring in the support forums when you think you have an issue, and the lack of repaints. They sure made it difficult for repainters with their rules (You'd think they invented the light bulb or something with their "patents")But it is one of the best add-ons ever if you're willing to sit down and spend time to read the manual. Just following the step by step tutorial got me up and running, if you memorize that, you can fly her without any problems.