Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Model Converter

Guest Jetfan

Just to report the new Model Converter by Ivan Hsu works great. For those of you still using FS2002 and have been missing out on some of the great aircraft that have been modeled for FS9 only, now is your chance to take advantage of the situation.Kittyhawk, here I come, download time...To the developers, a heartfelt, THANK YOU !!Cheers,Bob

I don't know if you're referring to MDLC or not. I've used it, but I should warn that some aircraft--especially those that drop the control surfaces when the engines are shutdown, don't convert properly and are pretty much useless in FS2002. A most current example of that is POSKY's 767-300I have successfully converted Flight1's C172 and Veneaviones 690 among other aircraft, but I still find FS2004 a better platform for running aircraft designed for FS2004, and I get better fps performance. So I haven't wasted any more time with it other than the one day I tried it.-John

Guest Jetfan

Thanks for the input John. Mostly, I have wanted the new issues from Kittyhawk, so I'm concentrating on them right now. I converted the models, but use my own concoction of FDE's and aircraft.cfg files, shrink the textures down to DXT3 and let 'er rip. So far, my frame rates are still hanging around 35-36 with my limit set at 36.Fortunately, for me, the 767/777 aircraft never 'floated my boat' so to speak, so, I'm not after any of those. I'm sure I'll find something it won't work with, but I still have plenty of fine toys in the hangar.Cheers,Bob

I should have added that I have converted the recent MD-8x/9x series with no issues, other than losing the great wingflex/g-force modelling that FS2004 allows. Also, I converted the Cessna Cardinal/Dynamic Shine update released by Dreamfleet, which was only released for FS2004. It looks very good. It's certainly hit and miss, but I still fly FS2002 from time to time so I found it fun to try.-John

Hi All.I'm quite curious as to why a 3rd party has posted this to the AVSIM Library... not Ivan. In fact, the file contains no evidence that Ivan has approved this upload.Dick

I don't know if the package includes MDLC--it appears to be a GUI interface meant to make use of MDLC easier (MDLC is a command line driven program). If the author of the interface hasn't packaged MDLC into the file contents, then I don't think there's an issue. OTH, if the author has, the docs should provide contact info and Ivan's blessing.-John

Hi John.Not only does it contain MDLC, but it contains MK_MDLC, by Morten Krogstad. Nowhere does a permission note exist for either program.I have e-mailed Ivan, and may e-mail Morten, to see if they object to this use of their work.note: this program only installs MDLC to a folder named MDLC on the root C: drive, and apparently copies some files to the windows/system folder.The "author" adds NO content of his own, other than automating the installation.Dick

In that case, this is another example of someone riding the coattails of others' work just to get in his fifteen minutes of fame. I would alert the Avsim library managers and let them sort it out. -John

Hi John.E-mail sent to the Library administrators.Hopefully, they'll remove the "installer" until Ivan and Morten give their permission to publish their work.Some individuals do not realise that the express permission of an author(s) is required in software or packages of software that borrow their work, unless stated otherwise by a disclaimer from the author(s)... and in that case, the disclaimer should be enclosed along with the borrowed content.It's pretty simple stuff. Joerg Zeitschel may have had the right intention, but it is simply not enough to name Ivan or Morten as co-authors. They are, in fact the only authors, and Jeorge doesn't seem to have their permission to do anything with their software... especially not putting his name on it!I'm sure Ivan and Morten are perfectly capable of having their own work published at AVSIM.Dick

Guest Jetfan

Sorry folks, didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest here, I just intended to make a good comment about a new item in the library. I think it's probably all on the up and up, and I would have written to Ivan, but his email address was not part of the content.Cheers,Bob

No worries...Regardless of the package in the library, MDLC and the GUI interface designed for it are both interesting programs and fun for the hobbyist. But after I saw what Dick was referring to, I realized someone had repackaged both products for the sake of getting an upload in the file library and not much more than that. I'm glad Dick caught it and both programs are available elsewhere on the web in the form their authors intended.-John

I've tried MDLC and it works :-kewl. It's a very interesting tool :)

Hi all.AVSIM has removed this program from the Library.Here is the reply I recieved from Ivan Hsu:Dick, who is the MDLC installer author? FlightExpress?I have never receive any request or ask for my permission, I think it must be removed from AVSIM! Thanks for your supportregards, PS if the author ask for my permission, I evaluate it again! Ivan HsuSo, hopefully the issue is closed.Dick