Sign in to follow this  

VATSIM

Guest av84fun

With the release of SB3 and FsInn I would appreciate comments from newbies on VatSim regarding how difficult/easy it was to get the software installed an get to flying.There have been so many posts in the past about a very lengthy learning curve and assorted frustrations that I have been reluctant to get involved.Any comments and tips will be appreciated.Regards,Jim

Haven't tried SB3 (yet?).I'm not a newbie to VATSIM or computers/software (as a professional developer I meet some quite complex stuff) but setup of FSInn is painless.Getting it to work with VATSIM is also a breeze, just type in your userid and password, select a server, and click the connect button.

Jim I have them both installed and I connected to VATSIM without any difficulties. There is a small learning curve in knowing how to fill out the login screen and flight plan but nothing major. They are both one click and go, compared to the zillion other software that was used before.The one thing I like about SB3 it has built in voice so no need to install a voice client like AVC, which you will need for FSInn.Both programs are worthy of your trying so go ahead and jump in :-)Bill

Guest pimienta

Hey Jim,I've been flying on Vatsim since 2002 and let me tell you that it has never been easier than now!, the new SB03 is as easy as getting new weather in MSFS!, SB03 integrates with MSFS just like any other module, you no longer have to open windows and start programs and stuff like that.Now, flying on line is getting to be more and more realistic, by this I mean that there are some procedures that you will learn to master, if you are a real life student or private pilot you will fell right at home, if you have no real flight experience there is no better place to learn than this!, there are a lot of online tutorials all over the net that you can read and use to fly in Vatsim but trust me when I say that people are VERY VERY nice in the network, just like in real life if you let the controlers know that you are a "student pilot" (noob) they will go easier on you and try to help you in every way they can.There is not better felling than flying with other humans on the network, I actually use Vatsim to train for real life procedures and flights so don't be afraid and jump right in!, hope this helps.Alex.

Guest av84fun

Thanks Alex. After years of staying away due to complexities...real or imagined...I took the plunge. Installing SB3 was a cinch.I BRIEFY scanned to Quick Start Guide and in moments, I was connected to the VATSIM network for the first time.I just sat on the GA ramp for a while listening in to LAX radio traffic. (nothing new for me...I'm a 1000+ hour RW pilot).My only problem was I couldn't figure out which key was the push to talk switch. I drilled down a little further and found that it is the Scroll Lock key (but can be re-mapped via FSUIPC).I asked for and received a VFR departure westbound and launched off into the sunset...no longer a VATSIM Virgin! This is going to be fun.Thanks!Jim

Guest panda234

Great post Jim! I'm going to give this a try...billg

I don't know, no trouble here at all that I noticed. Could be your soundcard drivers?

Guys, got 2 questions on the new clients:1) Do the both work on a LAN PC via WideFS?2) Which one gives more smooth representation of the movement of other manned aircrafts when flying online?Thanks.

To anyone thinking about joining VATSIM I'd say "What are you waiting for?" Every controller I've ever met has been helpful and friendly. There's a bit to learn but, like anything in life, when you get it all right, especially on a busy fly-in, the feeling of satisfaction and pure fun is great.I'm no real-life pilot, in fact I'm a bit of a duffer :-) - let the controllers know you're new and they'll help out. There's a great VATSIM forum where people are always there to answer your questions.I can't understand how I ever flew without VATSIM.http://online.vatsimindicators.net/916312/3.png

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest kickin_chicken

I have been on vatsim.net for about 2 months (40+ hours). I will not fly in Flight Sim unless I am connected now, that is how awesome vatsim.net is!! I don't know why I resisted joining vatsim for so long. I actually have documents and software downloaded from when vatsim was SATCO, but never tried until January '05. I would HIGHLY recommend vatsim.net for anyone who wants real ATC.My experience started with the last stages of SB2.3, sbhost and AVC (flying FS2004). When SB3 came out, I downloaded it, installed and configured it. Within 10 minutes I was online again. I uninstalled all the files and programs I was using for SB2.3 and bid them good riddance!! SB3 makes a world of difference. It's easy to install and there's one program to deal with.

I've had some pretty bad experiences. Bad enough in fact that until testing FSInn last night I'd not been on VATSIM for months.The attitude of many a controller (seems to be concentrated mainly in Europe) is apalling. The ones I encountered were all either very nice and friendly (very good attitude!) or seemed to be on a powertrip and only interested in bossing people around, shouting at pilots for the slightest infraction of some invented rule, etc.Case in point: A few months ago I was taking off from Schiphol.Before turning onto the runway (as well as several times during startup and taxiing) I checked for an online controller, there were none.Just about as I hit V1 a controller (who can't have been online before I started my roll, as I checked...) screamed at me that I must abandon my takeoff immediately as he hadn't given me permission.He then spent about 10 minutes shouting at me that my flightplan was bad for not using NAT tracks (this was a flight to south America, a route that doesn't come close to even the southernmost NAT track...) and threatened to get me banned.That's not the attitude controllers should have. And this guy was listed in ServInfo as having a pretty high rank (CTR+ if I recall correctly) so wasn't some green as grass student on his first solo stint.