Sign in to follow this  

VATSIM

Guest av84fun

Since I am a newbie, I cannot testify to the totality of the AVSIM experience but so far, my experience is JUST the opposite.Such complaints as yours are VERY rare as far as I can tell after LOTS of research.Regards,Jim

They are very rare, personally in all these years never had one. Of course we are dealing with humans not a canned ATC so this could happen.Jos

Guest av84fun

Yes, and when I made the rookie mistake of forgetting to input my squawk code, the controller informed me of that in a PRIVATE CHAT window..not on the departure frequency.VERY nice...so far. And with respect to inappropriate controller behavior, I recieve repeated requests to "rate the ATC service."I would imange that controllers can be banned from VATSIM as well as pilots!This is about as much fun...sitting down...as I've had in a LONG time.(:Regards,Jim

Guest panzerschiffe

Have not had much problems with the controllers on VATSIM. Years ago I loathed flying into NYC (this was actually back when it was still SATCO) because the CTR controller there was such a huge jerk. But now the folks there now are great.I don't have problems with controllers with attitudes, but I do have problems with controller who don't respond. I usually figure it's the language barrier, since in some of the places I fly (South America, Far East Asia) I sometimes get a controller who for whatever reason ignores me when I call out to them in English.

It could happen. Sometimes there is a language problem. I believe that already had been controlled in all continents. Some times in South America encountered controllers with some English problems, I just switch to a mix of Spanish and Portuguese and that will do :)Bottom line is that VATSIM can provide a new experience, you can choose between lots of different situations: the rushes of Central Europe/UK, the controllers in Russia with metric units or busy US airports. No other organization in simulation can provide wider experience. Often VPilots refer that VATSIM weakness is the non 24h/around the globe control, personally I believe that 5 min of human control is better than 10 hours of canned control.BTW my favorite place is the crossing Australia New Zealand, it always amaze me to talk with a real person in the other side of the world.Jos

Guest Boone

Started on VATSIM last week for the first time with SB3 and flight sim has taken on a whole new meaning for me. It is an absolute thrill to talk to a real person after so many years of FS ATC. Now I'm more addicted than ever!I'm still typing Newbie in the comments section as some controllers talk real fast - just like the real world - and will have more patience and help you along. To enhance the experience stick to a few airports at first, nothing giant and make sure you've got all the charts including apron charts. A ground controller will direct you to a specif stand and having the arport map adds so much more realism. Awesome.Best RegardsBoone,BooneEIDW@hotmail.com"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

I've had controllers forget about me from time to time.Other controllers who never see you, network problems can cause that (and the reverse too).On several occasions I've tried to contact controlers and never got an answer. When contacting a supervisor to clear things up it often turns out the controller doesn't see me on his scope.At other times I've gotten calls from supervisors why I didn't respond to controllers (controllers I didn't see). South American controllers are some of the nicest there are. Sadly they're often less experienced than many others, probably because of the low level of traffic over there.