Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

RC1 is out

Unfortunately, these things take precedence over things like... seasons. Or fundamental multi-monitor support. Or puzzling building assignments based on landclass, like huge trailer parks where residential neighborhoods should be... or clusters of skyscrapers where a few small 2-story commercial buildings exist.

I think you miss a critical point here: Philip wouldn't be in a good position to do anything in these matters.

Especially seasons for example is more a question of artwork, the multi monitor support that you probably request is a a feature of Direct X which X-Plane doesn't uses since it doesn't work under MacOsX or linux and landclass puzzling would be more of an integrated objective between the artwork team and the person who wrote the auto generation.

Not a suitable operation for a new team member. Otherwise he could probably start to work on something for X-Plane 11.

This is getting a bit off-topic, but I´m wondering about Laminar´s business concept. Of course it´s great that we get free updates, but the dev. staff is working the whole year on the product without the company getting any new (or very little) new income from x-plane 10.

Wouldn´t a kind of subscription model be a lot better for this kind of long-beta-product ? I know, everybody will shout out now "noooooooo!!! We don´t want to pay for updates!" and from a customer stanpoint I can understand that. But with monthly income Laminar could invest in more developers or external artists and get things done a lot quicker.

I could also imagine fund raising a la kickstarter would also be successful, just look at this crazy success Robert has with his Starship Citizen  :o  . It´s totally insane what people are willing to pay for, i.e. 50$ for new spaceships..WFT?? Of course the group of buyers is smaller with a product like Xplane, but I still could image that people would "donate" an amount for a better product.

ohsirus, on 31 Aug 2014 - 9:19 PM, said:

I still can't see how Oculus Rift support is a priority

I agree

+1

------------------

Guillaume CHARRIER

I was in a simming hitatus for about a year and recently started coming back with P3D2.3 and also again testing with XP10.25 and now 10.30RC1. In addition to fiddling with the sim, I've used quite a lot of time to go through forums to see where things are and where they are going. I have to agree with few commenters here that to me XP10 developement choices seem really weird sometimes. Although after the hiatus I see clear developement with the sim but it feels like there is no proper long term project planning made with clear milestones and aims, and many issues continue to exist. This Oculus support is a fine example of team focusing on completely tertiary things. Critical bug fixes are of course another matter and they have to be addressed and they possibly take recources off from the developement itself.

It is a shame actually as there is lot to like in XP10, but it is probably Austin's visions that are the plan and that can change practically on daily basis which of course makes the whole developement bouncing all over the place. With small dev team there is just no recources to do everything. Yeah, like someone said, personal project seems very fitting expression here.

Yeah, like someone said, personal project seems very fitting expression here.

And this is no surprise. X-Plane was always Austin's personal project, since he started with it in 1993. Made for fitting his needs. If you want to seriously use X-Plane, you have to adjust your expectations to that. It's possible, and it's perfectly possible to fly quite realistically in and to have fun with XP. :)

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

whatever they want to add to the sim its finally a choice of Laminar... as every company do. That's ok. I will keep supporting it buying the product and addons.... but things that shouldn't happen are  features

that are supposed to be aleady functional.... and are not, like ATC.

Since alot of people dont seem to understand the way software devolpment works.  Not everybody can do everything.  Also Philip, the person that develops the Oculus is not an full time employee. He is an hired developer. http://philippmuenzel.de/about.php

Regards to the Oculus, i think the idea behind it is not the end user. I could envision a great potential for smaller flight trainers with a setup like this. With Leap developing VR Mounts that effectivley make 3D hands very easy possible and PMDG developing professional line aircrafts i can envision a semi pro flight sim that doesnt require 100k and more in a real cockpit to reduce the amount of flight times needed. All you would need is a LEAP, an Occulus, Yoke Rudder and Thrust and that is it. you can grab and activate every switch and that is it. It is still future but i think something like that is the idea

I think you miss a critical point here: Philip wouldn't be in a good position to do anything in these matters.

Especially seasons for example is more a question of artwork, the multi monitor support that you probably request is a a feature of Direct X which X-Plane doesn't uses since it doesn't work under MacOsX or linux and landclass puzzling would be more of an integrated objective between the artwork team and the person who wrote the auto generation.

Not a suitable operation for a new team member. Otherwise he could probably start to work on something for X-Plane 11.

I'm not suggesting that Philip, or anyone in particular, should be addressing these issues; simply, that they exist and should be handled.

Not everybody can do everything.  Also Philip, the person that develops the Oculus is not an full time employee. He is an hired developer.

I never claimed anything otherwise. Still, no matter how you look it, Oculus developement needs resources whether outsourced or not. That resource could've been focused more wisely elsewhere. But that is only my opinion. The positive thing in Oculus developement might be, along with things like Steam release, that being "early bird" in Oculus support may bring a nice bunch of new customers when Oculus retail version is launched in a year or so.

And yes, I agree, XP certainly can be enjoyed as it is and a big bunch of fans and friends of XP series is definitely a proof of that. I find it quite enjoyable myself with some good photoscenery and nice plane, although so far I'm mostly toying with it and testing the platform, but nonethless I do it for fun. I just feel that it could be even better with more focused developement and perhaps by listening a bit more the simmers for most wanted features. But of course XP is Laminar's product and they may do it how they like, which applies to every other software developer too.

never claimed anything otherwise. Still, no matter how you look it, Oculus developement needs resources whether outsourced or not. That resource could've been focused more wisely elsewhere. But that is only my opinion. The positive thing in Oculus developement might be, along with things like Steam release, that being "early bird" in Oculus support may bring a nice bunch of new customers when Oculus retail version is launched in a year or so.

yeah i agree. no matter how you do it. If you have 10 big unresolved problemsand can only fix 1, 9 are going to remain and some people will be unhappy. Everybody has different preferences. For me the new GPS is one major problem gone and that is more than enough. Personally i see the occulus development as an investment in the future. If you want a technology to be used you need to provide it as soon as possible. Most of the Add-On Companys are small and cant put 5 people research teams together to gain knowledge developing rift. So giving them 1 year to fiddle around with no pressure is a good thing.

Given that Phillip seems to be more of an avionics guy, and Ben is now more or less on paternity leave (congrats btw), I see no hope of a 10.35 blitz on the aforementioned meteoric and visibility improvements coming before middle to late 2015. (sigh)

Confession: I have kissed and made up with P3D now that 2.3 is out, so I'll be spending 95% of my time over there, but always keeping an eye out over here for positive news on XP development.

what is RC1 ?????

Release Candidate #1 for 10.30.  If you have been downloading the betas, you probably have it by now.  Otherwise, it probably means that the full release of 10.30 is on the horizon.

John

John Wingold

I see no hope of a 10.35 blitz on the aforementioned meteoric and visibility improvements coming before middle to late 2015. (sigh)

Don't write it on the wall! They're overdue, especially now when the high altitude visibility (fog) is broken since 10.30, too.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Happier than ever with latest betas and now RC1. Performance increased with over 40%, so i'm now swimming in clouds at 30%, puffs at 120%. Also my "wow" experiences are back.

LOWI_LOWW_1.jpg

LOWI_LOWW_3.jpg

LOWI_LOWW_4.jpg

LOWI_LOWW_7.jpg