Sign in to follow this  
1mikel151

Getting more out of MSFS2002

Guest pimienta

Hi Guys,I've been flying MSFS2002 for a long time now both alone and online in Vatsim but I pretty much have the stock version of the sim, by this I mean that I don't have any addons, third party software or anything like that, I was wondering what should I install on my sim?, what would you think are the top 5 addons I have to install to get the most out of my sim flight experience both alone and online?, I like traffic and dynamic weather a lot.Thank you so much for your time!Alex.

Alex,In all seriousness, I'd recommend getting FS2004 if your computer can handle it, because quite honestly there are more than a few excellent products exclusively for FS2004.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

i think one step in the right direction would be FS2004 if you can. Alot of addons are avalible and FS2002 isnt supported much anymore. Huge difference in detail in FS9 also. Byfar teh best out there. If your system can take it, id go get it. Its like 29.99 now at walmart. lol

Guest ponyboy

Hey pimienta,It would probably help if you posted your PC specs only to know whether you have a system that can handle "high end" stuff or Framerate hungry add-ons.Don't have 5 favorites for FS2002 as I don't really use it anymore. But I am sure there are a few 'diehards' that can promote their favorites. One suggestion I would make is get some good 76m or even 38m terrain mesh. You'll see an immediate improvement over the default mountains, hills, valleys. Can get lots it either in payware or freeware and you'll use it with every flight. And I believe all terain mesh is good for both FS2002 and for FS2004 should you decide to evenetualy go that route.Speaking of that I would look for add-on's that are compatible with 2002 and 2004 so you can maximize your investment.I am curious as to why you have been with FS2002 all this time and keeping everthing in it's 'virgin' status. Is it because of the on-line flying? Bet you haven't had any crashes, freezes, or CTD's like the rest of us. ;)

Guest shanwick

>Hi Guys,>>I was wondering what>should I install on my sim?, what would you think are the top>5 addons I have to install to get the most out of my sim>flight experience both alone and online?Hi AlexRather than tell you that you ought to get FS2004, which I am sure you know exists :-) , I will try and help you a little.Take a look at this site which list most of the freeware scenery available for FS2002 http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.phpRealAir Simulations have one of THE highest reputations for payware aircraft and customer support. I own two or three of their aircraft and they are to be highly recommended. Some of their products, especially the SF260, are still available for FS2002. They also have a nice freeware update for the stock Cessna 172. You can find them at http://www.realairsimulations.com/Hope this helps you enjoy FS2002 even more.David

Guest pimienta

Hi again!Thanks to all of you who took the time to post and reply to my question!!!, after reading all the replies the message was pretty clear so I went and got MSFS 2004 and deleted 2002, the installation was pretty quick and painless, I was surprised to see that 2004 imported my CH Products Yoke and Pedals configuration so there was no need to assign all the commands again, nice.The sim looks great but I do see a performance hit, I was kind of expecting this so my next question has to be: How can I improve the performace of MSFS 2004? here are my system specs:Intel Pentium

There is a forum at the top of the general forum full of tricks and tips, most worthwhile http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=177 You will find the sliders at dense in FS9 are the same as very dense in FS2002, so you can cut back a notch, Weather will kill your performance, make sure to get FSW cloud textures for FS9, it'll help a lot.FS9 is more dependant on CPU over graphics, so if you can beef up the CPU.EnjoyRegards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW