Sign in to follow this  
rudder

restricted user account

Out of the  blue, start fs9, I get, cannot run, Restricted user account. spent 3 days searching the forums and web, found other members with same prob. no foolproof fix. I have reinstalled the game and used fs9 on exterior drive no change. if I could be sure  it would fix the prob. I would reinstall windows. I tried to run fs9 under admin. runs poorly, been running fs9 for ten years never had this prob. Help please.

I never used my comp. for one week, noticed 7 security downloads from Microsoft august19 on start up.  deleted them no change. thanks.

First, it would help to fill in your AVSIM profile for hardware, your Win version, FS version (guess 9 this time), and add-ons.

If you are on Win 7 find or create a shortcut to FS9.exe. Right click on it and select properties. Click on Run as Admin to enable it. now click on Advanced. Click on Run as Admin to check the box. (This one is different than the first one). OK to return to the first window. Click Apply to save both changes and then OK to close the properties window.

Log out and log in to Windows as administrator (or admin class user). Go into control panel and get to the user account settings. Check yours there for full privileges of read, write, modify, delete, etc.

Browse to the FS folder. Right click on it t check its properties so read, write, modify, delete, etc., are enabled.

I never let Win auto-update in auto mode. I always examine what it will do. I actually do not run it but prefer to use active antivirus and firewall applications such as Norton Internet Security. This gives me control over what gets changed to some degree and what can be declared as safe.

I normally do not use Win 7 on my FS desktop. Is it possible Win reverted to a non-registered version?

What updates ran. Were they all Win updates or other updates such as a security app you may be running.

Run your anti-virus checker on the FS9 folder.

ronzie ,thanks for your reply. Tried all of the above no change. My question was, If I rienstall win 7 will the problem go away?

Is it only FS giving this problem?

FS9 is no longer supported and in-fact MS sold the whole FS series entertainment license to a gaming company.

Perhaps in the Win 7 updates a security check was implemented that involves an FS9 license check now. FS9 was only checked by looking for installation CD 4. Nothing changed with the 9.1 update. There can be a service running in Win that checks the DMRI (Digital Millenium) copyright thing and maybe an MS Win update added an inclusion for FS. Just a conspiracy theory. However reports of this user restriction go way back including Win XP to 2010 or before.

One reply by John Masterson, an MSVP certified developer/administrator stated starting FS by right clicking on it and selecting Run As Admin. The two level changes on the shortcut I gave you should do the same thing.

What happens if you do a system restore? Turn off auto Win updates before you do this. If there have been no updates since your last system restore maybe that will work.

I see from search threads a couple of users had folders changed to read only. Some of these threads are older and go back to XP.

One common item among users involved Kapersky AV but was not conclusive.

That's all I've found.

One question I forgot to ask, did you install anything just before you had this problem?

Try the hardware forum here.