Sign in to follow this  
Guest lemonadedrinker

ILS feathers at KSVC.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Today I tried to land at KSVC, shown as having an ILS system by the feather. Once having picked up the signal and identifier and gone to 'approach' the plane angled straight down into the ground and but for my accelerated responses I would have lost $45,000 worth of 2nd hand Baron in the New Mexico desert. I wondered if perhaps I had developed a radio problem within FS9, but the plane lands fine elsewhere. Any thoughts appreciated.

Guest Capn Tall

The approach to runway 26 at SVC is a LOC (localizer only) approach. It doesn't have a glide slope. If you were using the autopilot in the approach mode this is what your problem was.Ed Weber a.k.a Capn Tall

And if you could tell me where I could get a second hand Baron for $45,000, I'll take everybody for a ride. ;)

Guest lemonadedrinker

Thank you both for your responses. I had come to the conclusion that the feather shouldn't really be there although it is listed as having an ILS approach when you click up the chart from the map.As for the Baron; that came from a group calling itself Fly-a-Reck who said it had just had one lady owner from new and she just used it to go to the shops on Thursdays. Like a fule I believed them and traded in my Cub and another $660 for the plane. But it has a Turbo!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/110864.jpgAs can be seen there are no little triangles to show the captured glide-slope. (edit) I have turned the Ap off! that's why there aren't any triangles!!Andy.

Guest 737_Pilot

Only a pilot that wanted to crash his Baron would fly an instrument approach without the instrument approach chart that explains how to safely fly the approach. Charts are free online, all you have to do is click and look.http://www.aeroplanner.com/flightplanning/approachplates.cfmhttp://www.fltplan8.com/AppCharts/GIFCHART...93LD26_0001.gifhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/110866.gif

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. Thanks for the advice about the plates. Am I labouring under a delusion about the feathers? I thought they meant an ILS approach was available. I'm writing here about the FS9 map you access by the world symbol in the cockpit.Andy.

Guest 737_Pilot

I don't worry about what the FS map says, I never look at it, I fly like I do in real life, with charts, charts tell you how to fly the approach, I have no idea what the map tells you, except that you have stated that it tells you how to crash.Try flying into Aspen Colorado with the fs map and without briefing the approach chart below.http://www.fltplan8.com/AppCharts/GIFCHART...89VDGC_0001.gif

I just have to add that I hope you enjoyed your flight! Up until a job transfer a year ago I lived in Silver City - really did like it there!Joe Lorenc(now living by KSRR)

Joe Lorenc

Guest lemonadedrinker

>>>>except that you have stated that it tells you how to crash. And it seems quite successfully too!!Sometimes I do try to fly with a chart or set up an approach using the intersections coming in to an airport-my interest level is high, but my skill level under pressure of doing more than one thing at a time is looowwww. But now a question- as a RW pilot do you find the approach and landing in FS to be in any way helpful and/or realistic(within the confines of the monitor screen)?I am now off to check out Aspen and Grant with the charts.Andy.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. Even on the sim the mountains to the East of Silver City look great, well, with Justin Tymes mesh they look pretty good any way. The flight up till the Approach was uneventful. As they all should be I guess!Andy.

Another nice flight in the area is KSVC to Q16 (Reserve) - shows the western slope of the Gila nicely . . . Joe Lorenc

Joe Lorenc