Sign in to follow this  
Old_As_Dirt

Sandy edging on ponds and waterways

Is there a way to exclude all "beaches" temporarily so that I could see what it would look like without any?  

At present there isn't, you would need to create an exclusion scenery to block every 1x1 degree tile in the US. This could be done at scenery generation time in World2XPlane (i.e. The config could just create an empty scenery with just exclusions), but I haven't released this version yet. It should be fairly easy to create a script to cover large areas with just beach exclusion zones, if nobody is up to the task of writing it, then I'm sure I can write one when I get a free moment.

if nobody is up to the task of writing it, then I'm sure I can write one when I get a free moment.

That would be great as I have no ability in that area.  Thanks for considering it.

John

John Wingold

You can just create an exclusion zone in WED as big as you want to - exporting it will actually make many folders with .dsf files in it (one for every 1degx1deg tile).

I have the custom heliport (called nobeaches) here, if you want it, mail to me at "JanVogelinButzbach@gmail.com" and I will send it to you.

It excludes beaches within the continental US - I tried to avoid the ocean beaches, though.

Jan

You can just create an exclusion zone in WED as big as you want to - exporting it will actually make many folders with .dsf files in it (one for every 1degx1deg tile).

That's handy, I didn't realise WED would split it all for you. Thanks for the tip  :good:

I have the custom heliport (called nobeaches) here, if you want it, mail to me at "JanVogelinButzbach@gmail.com" and I will send it to you.

It excludes beaches within the continental US - I tried to avoid the ocean beaches, though.

Jan

Guys - Jan has fixed the problem.  His "nobeaches" file completely eliminates the beach effects and lets trees or pastures continue right down to the water's edge.  Yet, when you fly to the coastal areas, the beaches are there.  This is for US only, but certainly could be done anywhere as Jan has demonstrated to me.

Thanks to Jan for this small, but big to me, package.

John

John Wingold

Hi John,

It sure does fix the problem and I like it. My Wisconsin/Minnesota lakes look much better along the shoreline now in my opinion.  Numerous lakes around here have a "beach" that is a foot wide, trees right to the edge.

Thanks for bringing the subject up and a big thanks to Jan for providing the file.

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.

Do we need to email Jan for the file? I imagine he doesn't want to be flooded with requests...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

if you want it, mail to me at "JanVogelinButzbach@gmail.com" and I will send it to you.

Jan, would it be possible to host this file somewhere, i.e. Upload to Avsim to dropbox. This topic would be useful to pin in the tips & tricks section.

Jan, would it be possible to host this file somewhere, i.e. Upload to Avsim to dropbox. This topic would be useful to pin in the tips & tricks section.

No problem, just send me a mail and I will mail you the files. I don't have the time to deal with avsims file upload system, it looks a bit intimidating at first glance.

There are other communities where you can simply attach small files and pics directly to a forum post.... (hint hint).

Btw, demand for this file is limited, I had 3 requests overall ;-).

Jan

Thanks Jan, simple method. The beaches everywhere is something that has annoyed me for a very long time, I hope Laminar decide to work on it in the next beta run or soon at least, it ruins photoscenery which is used by a lot of people now.

Beaches are part of the scenery (data in the scenery tell - via vector lines - where to drape beach textures). So theoretically it would be possible for any photoscenery-tool to take care of it in one way or other (by removing, replacing, changing it ... or what ever). This is also the reason, why a simple "next beta" won't be able to take care of this annoyance. To really improve it (not just tweak the existing stuff), it would need a complete scenery re-cut (and of course new art assets, and possibly new tech concepts to deal with "beaches" - so no, its not trivial).

Beaches are part of the scenery (data in the scenery tell - via vector lines - where to drape beach textures). So theoretically it would be possible for any photoscenery-tool to take care of it in one way or other (by removing, replacing, changing it ... or what ever). This is also the reason, why a simple "next beta" won't be able to take care of this annoyance. To really improve it (not just tweak the existing stuff), it would need a complete scenery re-cut (and of course new art assets, and possibly new tech concepts to deal with "beaches" - so no, its not trivial).

Thanks. Please forgive my ignorance :huh:

This is very interesting. I see that this is still the problem with X-Plane 11.10 now in the end of 2017.. Is there any news regarding this?

Kim

10 hours ago, keem85 said:

Is there any news

Jan generously provided his email address above.  It works in X-Plane 11.

John

John Wingold

Hi everyone,

I don´t have the package anymore - but of course it is fine from my side to share it. Maybe you can PM each other? Just zip up the scenery pack and mail it.

Thanks, Jan