Sign in to follow this  
Lynk

I recorded a video with the Oculus DK2 and P3D

It's the first time I record a video like this. So I apologize in advance if you don't understand my English  :P

The immersion was better than I expected in flight sims, It was exciting, I sound like a little kid with his new toy  :blush:

You'll see me trying P3D V2.3 first and then War Thunder. 

Thanks to Daniel Church for the P3D plugin: 

http://www.openroadsgame.com/pptd

As Dan stated, you had to turn everything down in the graphics to reach a good amount of FPS (the display runs at 75hz, you need 75FPS at best if you want smooth head movements).

I took the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended through Hells Canyon ( http://goo.gl/maps/hqZLb ) in the FTX scenery Central Rockies Gold. 

Honestly, it's not flyable yet. The screen-door effect is still there, and the resolution not high enough. You can't read the gauges at all unless you move your nose 20cm in front of the instrument panel. However the immersion is incredible. The sense of scale is amazing. You forget that you're looking at a display. The 3D, depth, etc... Is perfect. But it's only going to get better. The hardware is going to be there. We just need to be patient. Like I stated in the video, the only problem is to run the sim above 75fps. LM needs to do some magic in this area  :o .

Thanks for watching :)

Thanks for the video. It looks pretty cool, can't wait to see what the final product will bring.

Jazz

Nice video! I considered buying the OR DK2 myself but I am glad I didn't. As you said, the resolution isn't high enough and P3D doesn't perform well enough. I even doubt if the final consumer version will be of any use to us flightsimmers because even with better screens the resolution may still be a problem and I don't see P3D performing at least twice as good as it does now (if that would be enough) at even higher resolution...! Add to that the problem with controlling things in the VC and it seems the OR is a nice gadget but not much more than that...

I do think I will buy the final consumer version anyway, but probably for other fun purposes.

What is funny however, is that even though things don't look good, you actually seem to have the idea you are there in that plane... so somehow it still is convincing!

You put a big, big, big, smile on my face!!! :BigGrin:   I was having as much fun as you are just by your enthusiasm.  English good too!

the display runs at 75hz, you need 75FPS at best if you want smooth head movements

Do I see a mass migration back to FS9?   :rolleyes:

Fun video! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait for the consumer version of the Oculus. I know that performance will be a challenge, but I can certainly manage 75fps -- even today -- in pretty high resolutions with a less detailed aircraft if I crank down a few of the sliders. A year or two from now we'll be in even better shape.

To my mind, the Rift will probably offer the best experience with a simpler GA acrobatic plane or some-such. The classic SF-260 from RealAir, for example, offers tremendous performance (as good as or better than defaults), and flying through some canyons looking through the bubble canopy would be awesome. 

Your video was the best OR video I've seen yet!  Your English sucks! ;)

The resolution is why I haven't ordered an OR DK2.  I wasn't sure, but I didn't think it would be enough.  I'm sure I'll really get into OR for other games and such, but until it works acceptably for Prepar3d I'm not interested in getting one yet.  Although I know the other OR software offerings will have me buying one earlier.  Your video cleared up so much.  I know there are LG phones out now that are 4K, I cannot see why they won't go with one of those for the release.  But P3D will suffer framerate issues even worse then.  And 4k would begins to hit the 32bit boundary that is very tight around it as a usable resolution.  It's actually going to be a couple of years before Oculus Rift and the PC hardware are ready for us.  But the future is awesome, and P3D will be ready to ride that wave.  Thanks for this very informative video, and your English was honestly very good.  Viva la France!

Thanks for watching guys. 

I forgot to talk about this point, yes we can't see our keyboards obviously, but I only used it to quit the sim. We can look around with a TrackIR but it is not really comfortable to look down and up to reach the pedestal or the overhead panel. We even tend to use apps like Ezdok or Opus to set up new cockpit views. It's not a problem with the Oculus, these limitations are gone. All I needed was the mouse and my joystick. It's pure freedom.

Now all we need is P3D V3 64bits, DX12, and an extremely powerful GPU :)