Sign in to follow this  
ArgonianMoose

Direct X 10 and Direct X 9, much confused.

I just wanted to ask a quick question on Direct X 10 and 9. I've been getting around 20-24 average fps in the PMDG 737 with Direct X 9, and when I use Dx10 with the Fixer by Steve I get an average of 18-20 fps. A few months ago I installed FSX on my new pc and I did immediately started using the Fixer, I was getting 26-33 average fps, but also at the time using Dx9 gave me 15-18 fps?

So it's completely the other way round now?

I might just reinstall FSX again, that's what they say, reinstall FSX every few months.

that's what they say, reinstall FSX every few months.

Haha..  Who says that?

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Everyone who fly's on FSX, because the sim literally deteriorates. It just gets progressively slower, longer loading times, lower fps etc,

I tend to reinstall Windows every 6 months or so. It keeps both the sim and Windows itself feeling like a new install, especially with how picky I am with what I install and let run on start up. :P It's nice to get a clean start every so often and re-evaluate what addons and software you really want. Though, I wouldn't want to do it any more often than I do currently.

Brandon Filer

I just wanted to ask a quick question on Direct X 10 and 9. I've been getting around 20-24 average fps in the PMDG 737 with Direct X 9, and when I use Dx10 with the Fixer by Steve I get an average of 18-20 fps. A few months ago I installed FSX on my new pc and I did immediately started using the Fixer, I was getting 26-33 average fps, but also at the time using Dx9 gave me 15-18 fps?

So it's completely the other way round now?

I might just reinstall FSX again, that's what they say, reinstall FSX every few months.

Hi Mate i also was the lucky one to purchase Steve DX 10 fixer and also done the same and i only fly on DX 10 now i haven't gone back to DX 9, In the PMDG 737 NGX i am getting FPS from 26-45 fps in FTX Au region Scenery and at YMML airport FTX about 26-33f ps when on the runway about 27 fps steady

Have u also gone threw and changed all of your settings in FSX.cfg file i made sure went threw after installing the fixer and changed alot of the cfg folder to the recommended tweaks for my system also in the nvidia inspector for my GTX 780 

Matt

I've got a GTX 770 Super Clocked, and yes I have tweaked the FSX Config file and I've used Nvidia Inspector, I get an extra 8 more frames than I did with the default .cfg.

I've just reinstalled mine too.

In DX10 using Steve's Fixer I'm getting 22-26 fps in the NGX at UK2000 Gatwick with FTX England (Global Hybrid), REX, 2048 textures and 5.5 LOD radius. Does this sound about right. Seems lower than what I'd expect as with DX9 I was getting closer to 30!

Everyone who fly's on FSX, because the sim literally deteriorates. It just gets progressively slower, longer loading times, lower fps etc,

Amazing how you can speak for everyone who runs FSX.

I would bet there are a fair number in this community that do not feel the need to reinstall every few months.

I have installed FSX twice since it was released, both times due to moving OS and it runs well.

Not as well as P3D2.3 mind you, but thats for another thread.

On my system I get the best peformance (image quality and frame rates) with DX9 if I don't have "bloom" and "aircraft casts shadows on itself" checked vs. that of DX10 with the same settings. If I have frames to spare, as in not using a complex aircraft and not flying into LAX, then I switch to DX10 and turn on those two options for the eye candy. Activating "bloom" and "aircraft casts shadows on itself" drags my FPS in DX9 below that of DX10 with the same settings. I have not been able to find the "magic" settings in DX10 that give me the same image crispness and lack of simmering that I get in DX9.

Ted   

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Hi,

The main issue with DX10 imo is AA, i.e. potentially shimmering treetops, fences and jagged lines around the aircraft. However this is almost eliminated completely using 8xSGSS in NI, at least to a level I can live with. So you really need a powerful GPU with DX10 that will not bottleneck the rest of your rig, and definately reduce REX clouds to 1024.

Best Regards

Anders

I've got a GTX 770 Super Clocked, and yes I have tweaked the FSX Config file and I've used Nvidia Inspector, I get an extra 8 more frames than I did with the default .cfg.

what CPU and clock are you using?

Again...it is not FPS, it is "Fluidity". Is your animation smooth? Doesn't matter the frame rate, I get fluid animation at 13 - 15 FPS and 23 - 30 FPS with DX 10.