Sign in to follow this  

Should i wait for Broadwell cpus or get a 5930k and a gtx 980 i currently have a 2700k with an gtx 580 so really want to upgrade in the next year as i want to be able to fly from heathrow and big airports with the graphics and traffic on FSX basically on max.

Alexander Shepherd

Better wait for the test reports to come in - what you are looking for is a tall order..

Bert

Luckily for me, running a Haswell, a modest Gfx card, using all the FSDT, FlyTampa, UK2000, ORBX,and a handful of Aerosoft's airports, I'm having no issues. In fact getting very reasonable FPS.All at 4.2GHz.

i don't think any hardware will run fsx maxed out,i use a 4790k at 4.8ghz and a gtx 780 and can't max all sliders, but i can almost max p3d out with the traffic at 40% or so, i would wait for skylake if i were you, upgrade to the 980 now and wait for skylake, all the kinks should be smoothed out by then,you are not gonna get a performance gain off a haswell-e cpu with fsx, if you want to upgrade now i would buy a 4790k as most run at least 4.6 ghz and fsx is clock speeds.i have yet to decided if i am gonna upgrade from a 780 to a 980, i want to wait for results, good luck on your choice.

I'd vote Haswell + beefy graphics card given Broadwell is a bit unknown still. Even better, wait until Broadwell release comes and then scoop up a Haswell cheaply and overclock it.

Cool thanks i'll wait for skylake anyone no when it will be out i heard broadwell won't be out till june next year which is a bit dissapointing but i'm not going to waste money on something that isn't going to give me much better than what ive got already so howcome skylake will be good we must be able to run fsx maxed out someday.

Alexander Shepherd

Haswell-E + Maxwell is the way to go, that's the route I'm taking.  5960x installed and running @ 4.5GHz (still fine tuning) and waiting for GTX 980 or Titan 2.  

Even modern games are not yet taking advantage of PCI 3.0 fully, and newer chips have more PCI lanes etc.  FSX needs clock speeds - and I cant see clock speeds going beyond 5Ghz for the next few years.

DDR4, PCI4.0 etc are all starting to come into play but FSX wont benefit.

That all said I would be waiting to see how much VRAM the new cards come with as the current cards don't have enough, IMHO.  Given how close the 980 is - its probably worth waiting for that.  Skylake might not be all its cut out to be in FSX terms, and its 2 years away. 

I ve seen the test results of ssd m2 cards the Samsung xp941 wow

I wonder if you have skylake with 1 ssd m2 xp941 128 gb for windows 9 and an second ssd 2m xp941 512 gib for only FSX will give you a lot power and speed

For other use have 2 sata drives to boot windows 9

so the ssd s are only for FSX with an nvidea 980  32 gig memory

That is what i am waiting for

hopefully hear some comment on that

regards

Guys 980 isn't gonna make a big difference coming from a 770 and higher card. Keep that in mind.

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080