Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

World2XPlane Model Library

is it possible to see a screenshot of all the models put into one place? or is that not possible yet in outtera

Yes, it's definitely possible, but you need patience :D

How are these conversions accomplished? I created an airfield for X-Plane and would like to bring it into Outerra.

Edit: Never mind, answered my own question enough to realise I don't have the skills needed.

You could ask Levi to help you, he doesn't sleep, and could probably do it in 15 seconds....  :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

How are these conversions accomplished? I created an airfield for X-Plane and would like to bring it into Outerra.

Edit: Never mind, answered my own question enough to realise I don't have the skills needed.

Don't be discouraged, it's pretty easy to import a static object into Outerra. Anyone can do it, trust me.

You could start reading this Wiki about the importer. Also don't hesitate to ask me any specific question, I'll try to help you as much as I can :)

P.s. I'm not sure how airfields are made in/for XPlane, but if those are just 3D models, then the conversion should be relatively easy.

You could ask Levi to help you, he doesn't sleep, and could probably do it in 15 seconds.... 

Maybe I don't sleep, but unfortunately I can't be on the PC all the time...  :wacko:  :(  :BigGrin:

Thanks again, Levi!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Nice job guys!!

I am curious, where are the models for World2Xplane from? Do they follow a design structure and meet any guidelines for optimal performance? I am only asking since I see so many FSX wannabe scenery developers using models they didn't create and got from places like google that are mostly in no way usable for scenery design, would really hate to see that start to happen with Outerra from users that don't know any better (not you guys of course)

Has anyone come up with a size/poly/mb limit for objects for users to go by before importing?

Best, Michael

KDFW

I am curious, where are the models for World2Xplane from?

Apart from a few donated buildings for Ireland, all the other buildings have been created by hand by myself and a few others. We purposely made them low triangle, low resolution so we could place thousands and thousands of them into the scenery (and believe me, I've spent countless hours trying to make World2XPlane more efficient). I've kept all the ones I've created as simple as possible (originally I didn't and had to edit them again).  In fact, the reverse problem is true where people are expecting highly detailed models for Outerra and in reality they are just simple shapes designed to be seen from 500ft and above.

Thanks for the info Tony, it is much appreciated. I feel ya, I love quality, but learned awhile back what can be done and what probably should be done. I constantly push the line with FSX and my own designs. Just kills me when I see those new to scenery download an object off the net that is well over the mesh/texture limit for what a scenery object should be at, get it into FSX and then release it and wonder why there is a slide show, LOL.

Best, Michael

KDFW

The Greeble city in Outerra was 400,000 triangles, and Outerra didn't even blink. On the other hand, there was a case where somebody tried about 11 million triangles and it dragged Outerra down to about 8fps!  :lol:

Cameni once said that the limit was 64,000 draw-calls per frame, and that each mesh could count as a single draw-call.....

But that was a while ago, there have been Outerra optimizations, and GPUs are a lot more powerful, now.

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=1655.0

Devons rig

... now i want 11 million triangles ... :lol:, but okay - i am also happy with either 64 000 or 400 000!

:wink:

Thanks for the info Tony, it is much appreciated. I feel ya, I love quality, but learned awhile back what can be done and what probably should be done. I constantly push the line with FSX and my own designs. Just kills me when I see those new to scenery download an object off the net that is well over the mesh/texture limit for what a scenery object should be at, get it into FSX and then release it and wonder why there is a slide show, LOL.

A test city in Outerra.

Looks choppy, until you realize its running on an Nvidia Gt 640...........

How would a scene like this run on our current sims on a 640?

Now imagine this in Outerra using a 780 or Titan.........  :ph34r:

Devons rig

Now imagine this in Outerra using a 780 or Titan......... :ph34r:

.. just imagining - and it does look brilliant!

I've just checked in a pile of UK,Netherlands and French houses, some supermarkets and some industrial buildings to the world-models repository for X-Plane. The poor guy who will convert these to Outerra has his work cut out  B). There are more to come for the World2XPlane 0.6.0 update.