Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

Transferring FSX to a New HDD?

I'm a little unsure if I'm in the right area for this question, but guess I'll give it a try.  I'm building a new FSX machine.  I wish to move to largely SSD's, but due to budget, will only have 1 for the boot/OS disk at first.  I will have a separate drive for game installations and another for storage.

So my question is, if/when I get another SSD for FSX (and/or other games), would I be able to "clone" what will be my current game installations HDD from a traditional HDD to a SSD without having to do the whole uninstall/reinstall routine?  If so, how?  I appreciate any input.

Eric Szczesniak

Yes - sure can, providing it appears as the same drive letter as the previous HDD, FSX and others will be none the wiser from a storage perspective.

You can change the drive letter after cloning (use Robocopy.exe utility from Microsoft with /MIR switch from HDD -> SSD for example) with Disk Management.

As above is the way to do it , copy FSX folder to new SSD. If the old FSX DIRECTORY WAS F:FSX then that is what it MUST be on the new drive. I copied it over then shut down removed old DRIVE, rebooted and named new drive letter through disk manager to f:FSX done. Hope that helps.

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Yes - sure can, providing it appears as the same drive letter as the previous HDD, FSX and others will be none the wiser from a storage perspective.

When I tried this, a few of my payware add-ons detected the ID of the hard disk had changed, so anti-piracy measures kicked in, causing FSX to shutdown.

Depending on what you have installed, some payware re-installing may be required.

Eugene

When I tried this, a few of my payware add-ons detected the ID of the hard disk had changed, so anti-piracy measures kicked in, causing FSX to shutdown.

Depending on what you have installed, some payware re-installing may be required.

Eugene

You had to reinstall rather than just reactivating? Plentiful add-ons and payware are the reason reinstalling FSX is so trying!

Eric Szczesniak

You had to reinstall rather than just reactivating? Plentiful add-ons and payware are the reason reinstalling FSX is so trying!

I guess reactivating would be easier.

I was cloning to get some extra storage space for scenery, but in the end decided it would be less palava to transfer the large scenery files to my new SSD and free up space that way.

Eugene

I have been there the only addon that I had to reinstall was the Flight 1 GEX and UTX due to the licence, the rest was easy by reactivating all of them.