Sign in to follow this  
srburger

C-310 by Dreamfleet...."Crabbed View"?

I love the Cessna 310 from Dreamfleet, and I've tried to log on to their forum...but I can't for some reason. My user name and password, for whatever reason, are not being accepted. I've gotten fed up with trying.My problem: The view seems "crabbed" when taking off and when landing. It seems as though I'm not looking out the windshield head on, and the rudder has to be employed way too much.Please direct me to a fix for this... if you've ever heard of it. I really love this plane, and I'm not flying it as much as I should because I can't correct this. Thanks.ps. I've brought this concern up in the past on this forum, and even e-mailed Dreamfleet, and got no return e-mail.I'm just hoping that my "timing" is right with this question again, and someone has the same problem.

Hi Stan,It's a nice airplane, isn't it?The view isn't crabbed, but it can give you that impression when you first start flying it because of the instrument layout. If you go into the VC and pan down, you'll see that you're sitting right behind the yoke. Draw an imaginary vertical line up from the yoke, and where it intersects the top of the panel is your center of view... it's off center from the attitude indicator. Once you know where your center of view is, you'll have no troubles taking off, landing, and tracking VFR.Ken

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that. Unfortunately, perception is reality. If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck....it's a duck. I'll do the imaginary line and check it out, but I'd still like the viewpoint to look straighter. Just my feeling about it compared to the hundreds and hundreds of other panels I have on my hard drive. Thanks again.

Hi Stan, sorry you've had problems with the forum.Whilst the 310 is nothing to do with me, as Ken rightly says, there is no issue to fix. I thought the same as you once, but using the VC and zooming out a bit helps you get used to the somewhat strange layout of the instruments.http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

Guest David Lee 2

Stan,I thought the same as you once but following the advice of others I eventually became convinced that the view is correct. I've since seen the same optical illusion with other VC panels, usually those with a rounded glare screen or some other asymmetry. I imagine when you are in a real plane of that type your peripheral vision helps filter out the visual anomalies and you can approach that by zooming out a bit (I use 67%, which has been recommended in the past) then moving your seat forward a bit. Also make sure you do not have a crosswind because all FS models will crab into the wind in that case. Ground handling in MSFS leaves a lot to be desired but the Level D sims don't do much better in this regard.David

>The view isn't crabbed, but it can give you that impression>when you first start flying it because of the instrument>layout. If you go into the VC and pan down, you'll see that>you're sitting right behind the yoke. Draw an imaginary>vertical line up from the yoke, and where it intersects the>top of the panel is your center of view... it's off center>from the attitude indicator. Once you know where your center>of view is, you'll have no troubles taking off, landing, and>tracking VFR.You are absolutely right -- the Dreamfleet C310 VC does have a kind of "optical illusion" that has caused me to have difficulty landing it. I believe that it is a combination of the fact that the top of the panel slopes form right to left and also that the placement of the gauges is off-ventre from the position of the centre of the yoke. Once I realised this and now fly with my mind kind of "centred" on where the center of view really is , I find it much easier to fly and land.Barry