Sign in to follow this  
Cyanide72

POSKY/SSP 777-300ER ILS Issue

Hi everyone,

I've recently been in the mood to fly some routes with the SkySpirit/POSKY 777-300ER models. However, I've been putting it off due to a weird issue with ILS landings that I always seem to encounter with these models. 

To give some background, I set up ILS approaches and everything is normal right upto the moment I intercept the glideslope. At that point, the aircraft begins descending automatically, but the abnormality is that it immediately pitches nose down and carries on down the glideslope. I must add that the aircraft does not immediately lose altitude or completely nose dive. As I said, it maintains the proper descent on the glideslope but pointing about 10 degrees nose down. Almost looks like the aircraft wants to land with the nose gear first. It looks completely ridiculous and I'm not sure how to fix it. As far as I know, the models and their respective FDE's are updated to their latest versions. No other POSKY/SkySpirit model does this except the 777-300ER. The 777-200/ER and the normal 777-300 descend normally and I have no issues with them. I've been doing ILS landings in FS9 for years now, but this is so far the only model that's given me issues. Hell, even the massive Project Airbus A380 handles itself amazingly well from start to finish.

I enjoy flying super long haul flights in real time so to get that far on the end of a 13+ hour flight only to end up having a horrible, unrealistic looking approach really puts me off of FS9. 

Some help or advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hmm, a nose down attitude like that makes me wonder if you're configured properly and whether you're carrying too much speed. Walk us through the speeds and flaps/gear settings you use on the approach prior to and after glideslope intercept.

Hmm, a nose down attitude like that makes me wonder if you're configured properly and whether you're carrying too much speed. Walk us through the speeds and flaps/gear settings you use on the approach prior to and after glideslope intercept.

25nm out I start slowing down from 200kts to 170kts. I aim to hit 135-145kts depending on fuel level by the time I intercept the glideslope. I'll usually put flaps to 5 25nm out and gradually increase in increments. By the time I'm intercepting glideslope I'm usually at 20 flaps and as mentioned, just around 135-145kts in air speed. Depending on fuel, I'll rarely use full flaps down after a long flight as the aircraft is light enough to stop with brakes and reverse thrust. I usually engage the APP button on the AP just after approach hands me off to the tower which is normally around 25nm out. I've tried engaging the button 10nm out with this particular model but that doesn't seem to make a difference. 

As I mentioned, no other model gives me issues like this other than this 77W. Do let me know if i'm doing something wrong. This is pretty much how I've been doing my ILS approaches for the past many years. Thanks for taking the time to replying to my post! Appreciate it.

That sounds about right, I'm almost at a loss:)

The only other thing that I can think of is a bug that affects my Eaglesoft Beechjet. Using the hat switch to look around the cockpit recenters the forward view so that it looks like I'm suddenly in a 7-8 degree nose down attitude. I have to press Ctrl-Space anytime I use the hat switch to bring the forward view back to normal.

Is your deck angle correct or is the airplane nose-down when viewed from outside?

That sounds about right, I'm almost at a loss:)

The only other thing that I can think of is a bug that affects my Eaglesoft Beechjet. Using the hat switch to look around the cockpit recenters the forward view so that it looks like I'm suddenly in a 7-8 degree nose down attitude. I have to press Ctrl-Space anytime I use the hat switch to bring the forward view back to normal.

Is your deck angle correct or is the airplane nose-down when viewed from outside?

I thought about that too but the exterior view shows the aircraft in a nose down attitude as well. Very perplexing! 

Perhaps you would like to try out the particular model I'm using and see if it does the same thing to you? The file is named emirates_boeing777-31her.zip in the Avsim library. It's a gorgeous paint by one of my favorite painters (Abdullah Rahman) although the problem should replicate itself on any SkySpirit 77W. Another example I have installed of this same model is air_france_boeing777-328er.zip also painted by the same author and also utilizing the SkySpirit model. 

Personally, I think it's a quirk of MSFS. As long as your Gauges are giving you the proper information, I think you should be fine. I know it doesn't look quite right on your Monitor, though...

It reminds me of when I fly helicopters in the Sim; even though the Attitude Indicator shows I'm level, the Exterior View always shows me slightly nose down! The choppas flying around my house don't look like that...

:P

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I seem to have managed to fix it! What I did was go to the POSKY Archive and download the older Service Pack D for the 777 Series. I then navigated to the 777-300ER folder and copied over those files into the relevant Emirates paint I had pointed out above. Took the aircraft out for a spin from Dubai to Dubai with a full PAX load and 10% fuel to simulate the end of a longer journey and here I am on finals with flaps at 20 and holding 140kts:

tQlhovi.jpg

Much, much more normal looking. I only wish I had screenshots to show of what the approach used to look like. 

Long story short, if anyone out there ends up with a 777-300ER with the OSB773.air file in there, bin it and use the one I mentioned above. Seems to work far more better.