Sign in to follow this  
steveteva

Aircraft crew more likely to develop melanomas

Guest JustanotherPilot

After 30 years and several thousand hours flying around Australian skies, I can attest to the effects of the sun on aircrew. Now, in later life and no longer flying as crew,  I visit my Dermatologist every 6 months to have skin cancers frozen off or cut out  - with cream treatments in between. I cannot emphasis  enough for those involved in aviation to be 'sun smart'

One of the big downsides of being higher up in the atmosphere for sure.

Perfectly put Steve, well worth being sun smart to try and avoid issues later down the track.

All my pilot friends have tanned skin, they fly on day not night. So I guess this is true. Sun is very power in the sky, specially in some region and in summer it can be worse. I suggest they put sunscreen lotion.

I know a lot of guys will wear sun screen, I sure as hell will when I start doing a lot of high altitude flying

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.