Sign in to follow this  
alpha117

ATC Background Chatter Files

Update for anyone interested - realatc.net seems to be abandoned. I paid for the files over a week ago, and after never receiving anything, attempted to contact the seller via three different email addresses without success. I ultimately had to file a claim on Paypal for a refund, as the author has not responded to paypal's inquiry about my claim, either. Save your $10 if you're considering these..

I should have read this thread before purchasing the RealATC.net files. Yes, same situation I am in now. The site is abandoned and Ralph is not answering to emails unfortunately. 

Any other source for these files? Can someone that has them, share them for a small price perhaps? 

Where can I download similar files? 

Cheers,

e.

14 hours ago, Kiwi0ne said:

I should have read this thread before purchasing the RealATC.net files. Yes, same situation I am in now. The site is abandoned and Ralph is not answering to emails unfortunately. 

Any other source for these files? Can someone that has them, share them for a small price perhaps? 

Where can I download similar files? 

Cheers,

e.

File a PayPal claim. Eventually they'll get enough claims to suspend the account so at least nobody else will be able to pay for them..

I am not aware of any sources for edited files like these.  It's a real shame they are no longer available.

You can get unedited ATC files at LiveATC.net.  They are long and unedited, but work fine.  Normally when using these, you would use the "Designated File" option in Pilot2ATC Chatter, but if you put several files in the folder for each controller type, it could work for the "Controllers'' option.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Luckily I got mine before RealATC went incognito. I was going to start recording some from LiveATC and editing out the ones that had audio that was airport specific with the thought that we could start collecting them and sharing them. However, I think they are copyrighted as best I can tell. Maybe that might have been the problem RealTAC, if he was getting them from LiveATC possibly he was getting concerned about the copyright. Maybe I'm reading things wrong.

Mark

11 hours ago, markcellis said:

Luckily I got mine before RealATC went incognito. I was going to start recording some from LiveATC and editing out the ones that had audio that was airport specific with the thought that we could start collecting them and sharing them. However, I think they are copyrighted as best I can tell. Maybe that might have been the problem RealTAC, if he was getting them from LiveATC possibly he was getting concerned about the copyright. Maybe I'm reading things wrong.

Mark

I've started doing exactly the same - agree unsure about the copyright issues, so I don't think it's a good idea to set up any sort of sharing community... That said, it's so easy to do, I've already forgotten about the realatc stuff... Get a copy of Audacity (windows freeware). Download archive(s) of your choice from liveatc.net .  Load the file in to Audacity and use the "detect sound" (or something similar - not in front of it right now) from the tools menu (near the bottom, close to 'detect silence'. That will "mark" the start and end of each part of the file where there is actually sound. Then, from the file menu, choose "export multiple" and follow the prompts - you end up with individual files containing just the spoken parts - all automatically. 

I'm sure the realatc files were better... You do get some duds doing this, like periods of static or difficult to understand comms, etc...I look at them as added realism :)  But, in under 2-hours one evening, I have almost 1000 files already, across all controller types, and working great with P2A.

• Upvote 1

Wow...amazing tip!  I'm going to start doing this myself tonight.  I too was a victim of the $10 to the wind a couple weeks back.

Maybe I'll reach out to the LiveATC guys and see if there is some kind of a licensing agreement that can be worked out with them.

Mark

Great tip! That'd be awesome Mark! 

Does anybody care to share the chatter files by any chance? 

Unless you get these things off your own receiver directly many of the sources are copyrighted. I'm trying to work a deal with LiveATC for a licensing arrangement that might allow me to recreate a product similar to RealATC for a similar price. I should know in one or two weeks how feasible this is. If someone does find a free source of these ATC files then we could establish a free sharing mechanism but I haven't found any yet.

Hi Dave,

just a feature request for a future update:

Maybe it would be possible to play the ATC chatter files randomly from the ATC chatter folders?

Sometimes it is boring to hear the same ATC chatter sound twice.

Other things work perfect! Thank you.

Best regards,

Markus

Marcus,

The files are played in sequence out of the folders.  If you have 100 files in a folder, the first time you select that controller, you might get files 1 through 15.  The next time you select that controller, you should get 16 through xxx.  By the time you get to 100, you're supposed to have forgotten file 1.

If the files were played randomly, there's a much better chance of getting the same file played multiple times while on a frequency with that controller.  Of course, the assumption is that with the Controllers option, you have a large number of files in each folder.