Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Popups When Not Connected To Interner Explorer?

Guest B1900 Mech

Hi all, Why would this be occuring? I am running Win-Xp-Pro with all updates,and Comcast cable hi speed ISP. My 1394 connection was inabled,so I disabled it with no apparent interuption to my internet service. Should this be enabled? Also what settings should be entered in the Nvidia MCP networking advanced tab? Thanks in advance for any help!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/66448.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/66449.jpg

Guest GalacticCowboy

Looks like spyware. Use Ad-Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy, it'll probably find all kinds of stuff...

Guest B1900 Mech

Thanks Kurtis, But I have done that, and this is a recurring problem. Also, I solved the question of disabling the 1394 connection, It killed my outlook express.

Guest Paul_W

Hi. I'm not quite sure what's being seen with the windows you posted, but based on the title of your thread it sounds like you're getting ads showing up in their own windows on your screen out of the blue. I once had that, and I was totally ticked off. Luckily I came in here and discovered it had to do with the Windows Messenger Service, which as I understand it is something provided in the operating system by MS to allow networking people to send messages, but that spammers have figured out how to use to send ads to people. What I did was to turn off the Windows Messenger Service, which I think is on by default. I don't know the steps involved at this point, but you should be able to find it in the help menus, or one of the gurus will probably be able to help out.

Guest B1900 Mech

Yes Paul! Windozzzzze Messenger Reactavited itself!:-mad

GAIN is definately what most consider a Spyware program. That window in the top left corner of your first screenshot is the givaway. Some download you installed probably slipped it in as a "bonus". People that provide such downloads get some monetary income from the ads GAIN displays on your screen. You might need to uninstall the download to get rid of GAIN, but if GAIN has a seperate uninstall the desired download might refuse to run or reinstall GAIN.

Make sure you run AD-AWARE on all your Users separately since a different registry is loaded with each user. I would also run a complete virus scan.I recently ran AD-AWARE on my normal Administer/User and it said everything was clean. I ran it again on my second User file and it found several hits.W. Sieffert

Guest B1900 Mech

Thats funny, I cannot find Messenger in the services list! I have been in here in the past to disable it before. When I do a file search all that comes up is the files in the screenshot.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/66604.jpg

Guest B1900 Mech

I was getting a constant 2 regristry file intrusions on AdAware, When I got nosy and uninstalled then reinstalled Ad Aware, I got over 100 regristry hits! I wonder if any of these spyware programs are screwing with adaware?

Guest Ken_Salter

I wouldn't doubt it!