Sign in to follow this  
rcpistonhead

Switching from GEX to FTX Global

I have been using GEX for a couple of years now but I want to switch over to FTX Global. My question is how easy is the transition? What all needs to be done with GEX before I can successfully install FTX? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Both are texture replacement programs. If you run FTX global it will replace GEX ground textures. What I have done is run FSX with GEX textures, and P3D with ORBX global textures. You can also check Nick N comments on Flight1 forum. You can not run both together, either one or the other. Best regards.........Ray

The recommendation is to first uninstall GEX including a restore of the original FSX textures that GEX backed up.  Once that's complete, install FTX Global.

If you fail to uninstall GEX first, then you'll need to maually GEX remove folders, shortcuts, etc.  Not hard, but messier than the removing it first.

FTX Global will install without issue in both instances.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Thanks for the help Ernie and Ray! I plan on purchasing FTX Global today. I will restore the FSX textures and uninstall GEX before I install FTX just to keep things cleaner.

One question... Does FTX Global also replace terrain textures inside default airports? I noticed GEX replaced all textures except the terrain inside of the default airports so it looked awful.

Thanks!

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Not unless you're also intalling with FTX Vector.  UTX works perfectly well with FTX Global and many of us pefer it.

I've read some discussion about turning off UTX's land class features since they were optimized for GEX, but for now I've left everything as is.  I will likely wait until FTX releases it's North American Land Class.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Also, if you use UTX, do s search for the FTXG 3D lights on UTX roads fix, works great and looks awesome.

Cheers,

23.png

How hard is it to go the other way?  If you had FTX Global installed and wanted to go back to GEX, what are the issues one needs to be aware of?   Currently I have GEX installed, but if I uninstalled that and went with FTX Global, could I ever go back without a complete reinstall of FSX? 

I purchased and installed FTXG last Friday with no problems. I must say it looks stunning! Waaaayyyyy better than GEX :P

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Some suggestions if you haven't already taken advantage of them.

Head over to the FTX website, select the Freeware link and download some, or all of the FTX Global Airport Packs. 

There are packs for both North America and European Union that contain FTX enhanced small airports.

Also, take a look at the "Release Announcements" topic in the Forum if you haven't already.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Some suggestions if you haven't already taken advantage of them.

Head over to the FTX website, select the Freeware link and download some, or all of the FTX Global Airport Packs. 

There are packs for both North America and European Union that contain FTX enhanced small airports.

Also, take a look at the "Release Announcements" topic in the Forum if you haven't already.

Ernie

Thanks for the tip Ernie, I will definitely take advantage of that!

One question for you... Is it unusual to have FTXG cause poor performance at lower altitudes? Say below 10,000 or so. I'm just trying to pinpoint a new problem I have. Since I switched from GEX to FTXG I also switched from REX to ASN at the same time. Now when I'm on the ground or below 10,000 I am getting really poor performance with frames dropping below 10FPS. This seems to be more obvious when cloud coverage is dense but I also noticed it happen when there were very little clouds present. Since I installed both FTXG and ASN at the same time I am trying to figure out which one is causing the poor performance. Any advice or help with this would be great! Thanks!

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

It would be really unlikely to be Global causing that. Try popping over to the ASN forums and check out your settings

ZORAN

That's what I was thinking too Zoran. I've already got a post up on the ASN forums, just waiting for some feedback :rolleyes:

It would be really unlikely to be Global causing that. Try popping over to the ASN forums and check out your settings

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

I switched from UTX/GEX to FTX Global last year. FTX Global and Vector are beautiful products, but before switching you should be aware of the following:

- GEX only uses different textures whereas FTX Global seems to do a bit more. There are issues with some third-party freeware and payware products where FTX Global causes problems, e.g., trees on the runway, trees in the water etc. The only solution appears to be to create your own autogen exclusion polygon in the affected areas. I had to do that in maybe four or five places around the globe, so it is not an endemic problem but it happens. If somebody reads this and has a better solution: please share it!

- FTX Vector covers the entire globe and generally looks fantastic. However, currently many shorelines in North America are buggy. For instance, you may have two coastlines (one in the water), or islands may consist of shoreline only. FTX has announced that Vector 1.2 will contain a complete overhaul of North America, but until then you may want to stick with UTX North America if you own it.

Cheers,

Peter

It would be really unlikely to be Global causing that.

So I've been trying to sort out this problem for a couple of weeks now and I am pretty sure it is FTXG causing my slow down. Last night I did a low VFR flight in the A2A C172 from KBJC to KAPA, a quick 12 minute flight at 8,000MSL. When I flew over downtown Denver the scenery looked great but the FPS dropped below 10. As soon as I got out of the city the FPS shot right back up around 30. I did a touch and go at KAPA and headed back to KBJC and the same thing happened on the way back. The weather was also clear for the flight. Any ideas on this? I have FTX trees and lights tuned on, does this cause a slow down? Are there any other settings in FTXG that I can play with? Thanks!

Ben Weaver

SWA8485