Sign in to follow this  
JohnSmith

Windows 8.1 Joystick Disconnect

Hello everyone. I am aware of the infamous joystick disconnect issue that has plagued the majority of Windows 8 users. Well, I'm experiencing a rather unique variation of this issue that I have yet to see other users of the PMDG 777 discuss.

My controls only disconnect when using the PMDG 777. This is usually a result of switching to another window and switching back to FSX. The only way I am able to fix this is to launch the task manager and quickly switch back to FSX. This usually works, but can also result in FSX crashing. I know there are several proposed remedies to this issue, but I'm trying to figure out if they actually apply to me.

Has anyone else experienced the joystick disconnect bug with the PMDG 777 only? Did you fix it? How?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Im having the exact same problem, its even when I click on Fsinn my joystick disconnects and its only with the PMDG 777, Its really annoying.

Please check this thread instead of continuing this thread :)http://forum.avsim.net/topic/393486-windows-8-joystick-megathread-problem/?view=getnewpost

some solutions are;

- designate all axes en keys through FSUIPC

- Don't alt+tab

- if you loose it switch between full screen and windowed couple of times

But most of all, revert back to W7 if it persists.

However, Lockheed Martin claims that they fixed if for Prepar3D.. (I'm still testing).

I fixed this by using FSUIPC to handle my joystick instead of FSX. Have not had a single disconnect in 6 months.

@IRCGhost , finished flying your Maule? (Tweakers topic :))

@Glenn_C Haha no I crashed it into the stupid mountainsides around LOWI! I had zero vision, so I could only rely on my instruments.. however, the Maule lacks serious engine power so I couldn't climb high enough to dodge the mountain tops and/or jump above the clouds (base around 8000 ft which was also where most tops end).

Won't happen again xD

It is to do with the way Win 8 \ 8.1 is able to apply power-saving to the USB device. I think when you switch windows it puts it to sleep, but cant wake it again. Something like that. It also affects some other devices, my Corsair water cooling control software for one. No known resolution. Go back to Win 7, or do what I do and never switch windows, run everything else on second PC.

Personal I have found a work around for this. Go into the device manager of your computer and un install the USB driving running your joystick. Unplug the joystick and plug it back in. For me it works most of the time.

Using fsupic and adding settings for joystick commands thru it works. I have prepar3d v 2.4 and no issues with it using joystick thru the flight sim and not fsupic. Will use fsupic anyway for joystick commands anyway, such a nice feature.